Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gun bore oil

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    So it seems that the LM2 grease Tac advised is working.

This is the patch that came out my daughters 36cal pistol 4 days after the last clean after a day of shooting it. With my old cleaning system, the patch would have showed brown rust in the oil after this length of time. As you can see, nothing but grease now.

https://ibb.co/hsPyf6j

I did make one change to the cleaning process last Sunday though, and that was to blast an air line up and down the bore after washing. In all honesty, this may well have gone quite a long way to helping as I'm sure it would have dried the barrel out better than patches? I don't have a water trap on the air line, but it doesn't seem to have mattered on this occasion.

I was trying to keep away from compressed air as it's nice to be able to clean without the use of large tools, but needs must some times! I guess it doesn't really matter, as I very much doubt I'll ever need to 'field clean' any of my guns, always workshop cleaning at home! Plus I've taken to using my ultra sonic cleaner for my stainless revolver anyway, so what the hell, power tools here we come !!!

I know we 'butt heads' Tac, but thanks for the help on LM2 grease.
    Thanks where thanks is due
    glad you sorted it but...
    if it was me i would clean and dry with compressed air then re-oil the old way and see what was the culprit.....

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Jeremiah Johnson didn't have no fancy air line...just sayin'
    He didn't have Carlube LM2 grease either

The original oils I used always seemed to vanish after a very short time. I've not tested this LM2 for long, but from what I can see so far, it's just as wet in the bore as it was when I put it there. Also with a greased mop, you can feel where the bore is dry and then gets greased up as you pump the mop. The oils never felt as easy to feel the bore. I expect it's because the oils were quite thin and do not offer so much resistance. The LM2 has quite a bit of drag and even more when it's running over a dry patch of the bore.

I can see where you are coming form with testing using the original oils, but to be honest, if the LM2 works after an air line, I'll stick with that, as it doesn't seem to run out the touch hole or muzzle in storage! (I know, muzzle down for storage anyway!)
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 14-08-2020 at 08:03 AM.