Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
Leave the bronze brush in the cleaning kit box and stick with a bore mop. Unless you can push a metallic brush all the way through the bore, as you can in a revolver, you are not doing the bore any favours by using a PB brush on the kinds of steel usually employed for a BP handgun. Reversing a PB brush in the bore of ANY firearm is not a good idea. I have never done it, and I've been cleaning guns since 1952.

I have two of the family Sniders beside my desk as I write this note - both were made before 1867, although one has actually got DC stamps on it, and the bores of both of them are like mirrors from end to end. 3-in-1 is your friend, IMO, because that is absolutely ALL that has EVER been used in the last century, at least. Before that, it was probably some kind of mink or whale oil. Old guns like old remedies, it seems.

There must be a thousand modern 'brews' for cleaning guns, most of them containing ammonia or similar concoction for getting rid of the copper than comes of bullet jacketing. Not applicable for BP firearms of the kind that most of us have here in UK, and deadly when mixed with the products of burning BP, deadly to a barrel, that is. If they don't have ammonia in them, then they have some other space-age brew that optimises the bore for the use of a jacketed bullet, not a lump of lead wrapped in cloth, or even a lead ball, if we are talking about a revolver.
as above or rangoon oil