Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1919 BSA Standard Light just acquired from estate sale

1919 BSA Standard Light just acquired from estate sale

This is one of the few rifles I actually know the history of. It came from the estate sale of Col. Francis Parker born 1887 and passed away 1979. His Grandson was selling his gun collection. Only two Airguns, this and a 1920’s Haenel III. He was a very active small bore shooter in his day. Won the National Small Bore Rifle Championship in 1924 at the National Matches at Camp Perry, the US equivalent of Bisley. Two years later he would coach the US Team and would loose to the British Team! He went on to become President of the National Rifle Association after WW2 1946-48. I have to assume that he bought this early BSA during his early years of training and competing? He certainly was not a Airgun collector. He would have been 33 in 1919 and by then on his way to becoming a world class shooter and successful patent attorney. BSA was present at these early National events and they were getting excellent reviews of their air rifles. You can tell he really used this rifle but it is in remarkable condition for being over 100 years old. What surprised me is the stock and the flute on the comb which is obviously custom. That and the installed 21b aperture sight. These sights I believe were not made after WW1? So this is obviously a custom rifle set up for a shooter. The checkering is very professionally done and I have to believe the stock is contemporary to the rifle. Have at it as far as opinions, would love to know your thoughts. Is a flute more of a American style? Could this have been done in the UK or over here in a custom shop? Well at least you don’t see this everyday? Lol. Wish you all could grip it, fits the gripping hand perfectly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/p4x3Hek
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-08-2020 at 08:49 PM.

That’s a lovely looking rifle imo,how does it shoot?.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Les..
    Arrived today just started to clean it up and haven’t even shot it yet, oiling the leather seal, but I can tell it has a awesome seal and compression already.
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-08-2020 at 08:51 PM.

I believe the sight is original and certainly contemporary to the rifle, as the 21 was still being advertised by AG Parker (a sort of U.K. equivalent of Lyman and Stoeger in terms of shooting accessories) in 1921.

The No. 22 sight came in at some point between 1921 and 1923, so it was not immediately post war.

I quite like the customising to the stock - very subtle and just what you would expect from a prominent target shooter's collection.

What a lovely find with excellent provenance.

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    very nice rifle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Les..
    Out on the backyard for first time. Very smooth and the trigger seems to have been worked on feels like 2.5? lbs vs 5 lbs for my other non adjustable Light. Shooting in the 500s FPS but climbing as it cleans out the oil I put down the breech. No question the seal is near perfect. Spring is 100 years old but so pleasant to shoot. As said above this was a shooter’s rifle feels so nice in the hand. Crazy to think he could have been shooting this with Julian Hatcher at Camp Perry in the 1920s, but as an attorney he probably keep his shots going toward a paper target?
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-08-2020 at 08:55 PM.

That’s a lovely rifle, the stock looks great.
    Another great find, well done.

Matt

Rifles in that condition over here are extremely rare. That is a very good find and an expensive one I suspect with that provenance. Enjoy it and hope somebody else does after you.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Rifles in that condition over here are extremely rare. That is a very good find and an expensive one I suspect with that provenance. Enjoy it and hope somebody else does after you.
    I think this is a example of why these old air rifles seem to be in better condition over here. This fellow was a dedicated small bore powder shooter. Like most people of his time over here, Airguns were used just a fraction of the time powder guns were used? His collection was mainly cartridge guns. Though finding a vintage BSA Standard over here can be fairly difficult, when you do find them there is a much better chance they will be in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Out on the backyard for first time. Very smooth and the trigger seems to have been worked on feels like 2.5? lbs vs 5 lbs for my other non adjustable Light. Shooting in the 500s FPS but climbing as it cleans out the oil I put down the breech. No question the seal is near perfect. Spring is 100 years old but so pleasant to shoot. As said above this was a shooter’s rifle feels so nice in the hand. Crazy to think he could have been shooting this with Julian Hatcher at Camp Perry in the 1920s, but as an attorney he probably keep his shots going toward a paper target?
    The gun shoots as good as it looks ,that’s great to hear.
    Enjoy your Light pattern.
    Les..

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great find, and in that condition as well. along with all the history that you have on the owner. l would have thought that the custom part done on the stock would have been done in the US rather than back at BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    What a great find, and in that condition as well. along with all the history that you have on the owner. l would have thought that the custom part done on the stock would have been done in the US rather than back at BSA.
    More I think about it I agree he was a prominent shooter and I’m sure would have contacts with gunshops that would customize his guns. I also looked at English guns in this period I don’t see fluting. I also looked at the checkering and it’s done a little differently than BSA did at the factory. Actually done a little cleaner?

If he did order this work to be done it does show he did think a lot of this gun to go to that trouble and expense. He lived in the Chicago area which has nasty cold winters, probably his indoor winter companion?

Custom

/

Bsa Factory 1919 handcut. They always had a border which is a nice detail but some of the work not quite as clean?

Last edited by 45flint; 06-08-2020 at 01:20 PM.

A very nice acquisition Flint.

What stands out to me is the checkering is courser and deeper than original. The overall pattern shape and the finish of the checkering is a bit dodgy in my opinion.

Otherwise, I would be seriously tempted
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-08-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    A very nice acquisition Flint.

What stands out to me is the checkering is courser and deeper than original. The overall pattern shape and the finish of the checkering is a bit dodgy in my opinion.

Otherwise, I would be seriously tempted
    Interesting comment I would pick the custom in a heartbeat? Bottom looks a bit “factory” to me edges not quite as sharp. The courser and deeper lends to a better effect to me, but it’s the checkering combined with the new contour that is much better than the original. Certainly better than my 1920 which is pressed? But probably owners prejudice! Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-08-2020 at 02:13 PM.

When looking on the internet to fill in the gaps on the history of this guns I saw that the owner had one son. Looked him up and he was KIA in 1944 30 days after he landed on Omaha Beach. 20 years old. He probably shot this rifle sometime growing up?

Last edited by 45flint; 06-08-2020 at 04:02 PM.