Thread: 1919 BSA Standard Light just acquired from estate sale

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1919 BSA Standard Light just acquired from estate sale

This is one of the few rifles I actually know the history of. It came from the estate sale of Col. Francis Parker born 1887 and passed away 1979. His Grandson was selling his gun collection. Only two Airguns, this and a 1920’s Haenel III. He was a very active small bore shooter in his day. Won the National Small Bore Rifle Championship in 1924 at the National Matches at Camp Perry, the US equivalent of Bisley. Two years later he would coach the US Team and would loose to the British Team! He went on to become President of the National Rifle Association after WW2 1946-48. I have to assume that he bought this early BSA during his early years of training and competing? He certainly was not a Airgun collector. He would have been 33 in 1919 and by then on his way to becoming a world class shooter and successful patent attorney. BSA was present at these early National events and they were getting excellent reviews of their air rifles. You can tell he really used this rifle but it is in remarkable condition for being over 100 years old. What surprised me is the stock and the flute on the comb which is obviously custom. That and the installed 21b aperture sight. These sights I believe were not made after WW1? So this is obviously a custom rifle set up for a shooter. The checkering is very professionally done and I have to believe the stock is contemporary to the rifle. Have at it as far as opinions, would love to know your thoughts. Is a flute more of a American style? Could this have been done in the UK or over here in a custom shop? Well at least you don’t see this everyday? Lol. Wish you all could grip it, fits the gripping hand perfectly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/p4x3Hek
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-08-2020 at 08:49 PM.