Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1919 BSA Standard Light just acquired from estate sale

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting comment I would pick the custom in a heartbeat? Bottom looks a bit “factory” to me edges not quite as sharp. The courser and deeper lends to a better effect to me, but it’s the checkering combined with the new contour that is much better than the original. Certainly better than my 1920 which is pressed? But probably owners prejudice! Lol
    To better explain my opinion Flint.
    The checkering does not follow the stock lower contour well and the end section at the fore end is abrupt(straight); against the overall flowing design,
    It is better represented and familiar on examples of original hand checkering and on the pressed version.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    To better explain my opinion Flint.
    The checkering does not follow the stock lower contour well and the end section at the fore end is abrupt(straight); against the overall flowing design,
    It is better represented and familiar on examples of original hand checkering and on the pressed version.
    Don’t disagree with that straight line, but still take hand checking over pressed. The the original design with its edge line is a better design for sure but looking closely it wasn’t particularly well executed, especially in that curved detail you like? Kind of like someone with a hundred more to do? Normally I would be in horror of any change to a vintage original rifle but since this was done contemporary to its manufacture and part of the history of the piece so it is very cool to me? Part of the story, even to the slight chip on the butt stock? All good.
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-08-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Don’t disagree with that straight line, but still take hand checking over pressed. The edge line of the original is a better design for sure but looking closely it wasn’t particularly well executed, especially in that curved detail you like? Kind of like someone with a hundred more to do?
    There is nothing like piecework to destroy an artisans enthusiasm.
    Given that, the talent performing the checkering is admirable.
    A one off would be expected to be a step above.

My observation is incidental given the quality and provenance of that Light Pattern.
    Yours is a fine looking example of the great early BSA Flint. I love them.

Yet another gorgeous air rifle! Nice to have that provenance too. Stock is very tastefully done and the rear peep sight makes it a real shooter's gun.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wonder if our Eddie has seen these wonderful guns.

It would be great to see Edbear's take on both of these very fine BSAs.

John