Thread: BSA Standard help- getting the stock recess cover off

BSA Standard help- getting the stock recess cover off

Would like to get the recess cover off my 1919 BSA Light to see if by chance he stored the rear sight there when he settled on using the aperture. Easy to get the 2 screws out but the cover won’t give. I’m sure it’s been in there for 90 years. Any thoughts on a method without breaking this old wood? Really don’t want to risk breaking the piece as I will be using the aperture only as well. Not worth undue risk.

SA Standard help- getting the stock recess cover off

Does it sound like there's anything in there when you shake the stock? It could be wood glued in, i'd soak the join in white spirit but not much as you don't want to swell the wood, then try after half an hour.

You might try 2 larger screws that will just bite into the holes of the cover. Install them as levers to wiggle the cover while pulling on it gently & patiently of course.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    You might try 2 larger screws that will just bite into the holes of the cover. Install them as levers to wiggle the cover while pulling on it gently & patiently of course.

Don R.
    You beat me to it Don. Careful is the name of the game here and if the cover won't budge, best not to risk it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    You beat me to it Don. Careful is the name of the game here and if the cover won't budge, best not to risk it.

John
    Thanks to both of you, my gut tells me to leave it alone, if I did find the rear sight in there I would end up just putting it back. Lol. Not very got risk to reward?

i removed mine using Don and John's suggestion,applying equal lift/wiggle to both screws,it was worth it for me because there was an inscription dated 1920 on the underside.at the time i thought i needed to remove the stock to get at the spring which of course you don't.there is a leaf spring under the wooden cover.

I’ve got half dozen of the old BSA’s and being curious thought I’d remove the closures on the butts. All bar one came off, not all without some help though.
    There’s a thin arched plate under the wooden closure plate, or there should be. This acts as a spring loading to help the plate lift off, not always still in place .

The two that were stuck I just palm slapped the stock ( barrel up ) a few times and bingo off they fell. The last one in the end I just used two right angled picks and lifted through both holes at the same time, with great care. Bit fiddly though.

Edit; as above Mr isobar used the correct term . “ leaf spring “
    Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 08-08-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I’ve got half dozen of the old BSA’s and being curious thought I’d remove the closures on the butts. All bar one came off, not all without some help though.
    There’s a thin arched plate under the wooden closure plate, or there should be. This acts as a spring loading to help the plate lift off, not always still in place .

The two that were stuck I just palm slapped the stock ( barrel up ) a few times and bingo off they fell. The last one in the end I just used two right angled picks and lifted through both holes at the same time, with great care. Bit fiddly though.

Edit; as above Mr isobar used the correct term . “ leaf spring “
    Good advice Steve. If it is a custom stock, not a modified original, there is less chance of the leaf spring being behind that insert to assist.
    I would use the methods described previously and/or use a crowned vacuum nozzle to assist.
    that will provide near full cover lift, no loaded points.
    Not full vacuum but with some bleed off. Although if the butt is grooved then that should be enough to prevent full 'suck'.
    The mistresses stockings would prevent any chance of that wood insert from disappearing up the nozzle

Maybe apply some careful warmth from a variable heat-gun or hairdryer to dry the insert slightly (shrink)- perhaps it is dry enough; I don't know if it has been near humidity?

The airgun nozzle into the screw hole may be enough to assist lift also. Precautions advised. - also not 120 p.s.i

All advice from long distance and no accountability
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-08-2020 at 10:00 AM.

These wood covers can be very fragile and the leaf spring sometimes gets rusty and/or loses its spring power against a swollen or wedged cover. Leaving well alone is a perfectly respectable option IMO but if you have to remove it, Don's advice is spot on.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post

Don R.
    Yes that as worked for me in the past. apart from one which came away in 2 half's, the spring had rusted to the stock. but l glued back together again and it was fine.

Decided to not touch it given the motive was curiosity. Decided to find a filler for the rear sight slot so it doesn’t drive my perfection gene crazy.