Thread: 1919 - 1920 BSA Standard Light Backyard Shootout

1919 - 1920 BSA Standard Light Backyard Shootout

What are the chances of getting a matching pair of early BSA Standard Lights. Especially since I’ve been looking for one in the US for a good 4 years. Then in the space of 1 month I see two. The first seemed a no brainer given the condition and the early aperture sight. Then a month later a customized version made the first year and with the same aperture sight. This one was a bit more of a struggle as someone bidding against me had the same idea. Since COVID 19 has cancelled any vacation plans I have had this year I have already decided Airguns are my vacation so what the heck. I have cleaned up both and lubricated the leather seals. Also I took apart the tap loader and clean and greased them.

The rifles are equally accurate but one shoots at 635 FPS and one at 545. The 1919 you can tell has been used more and the difference is the spring tension. 100 years is a long time. Happy with both and the 1919 is actually a little more pleasant to shoot. Also it’s trigger is lighter. So a fun time going back and forth. The aperture sight works very well and dashes any thoughts of going back to the plain open sight.

After a good shooting session I went over for a photo shoot, well my COVID Vacation looks pretty cool next to each other. It’s not the beach but I don’t have to wear a mask to shoot? Doubt this will be topped any time soon in my collecting future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FVtC1pA

Just noticed the serial number on my old 1919/20 Light pattern (Ladies) that I've since sold was only 799 odd away from the serial number on one of yours.
    Serial number was 2811.

Great guns to shoot and old BSA rifles are among my favourites that I have owned over the years.

You should try an Improved Model D or Standard "Long Tom".

Quote Originally Posted by GMballistic View Post
    Just noticed the serial number on my old 1919/20 Light pattern (Ladies) that I've since sold was only 799 odd away from the serial number on one of yours.
    Serial number was 2811.

Great guns to shoot and old BSA rifles are among my favourites that I have owned over the years.

You should try an Improved Model D or Standard "Long Tom".
    I do have a 1924 BSA Standard 22, it got me started down this road.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I do have a 1924 BSA Standard 22, it got me started down this road.
    That's good then.
    Great to see you're enjoying such a classic English gunsmiths rifles.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    You really are a lucky guy to be able to find collectable old airguns in such beautiful condition.
    Over here in the the UK we would remove and sell our organs to pay for rifles with metalwork in the top condition in which you seem to find them!
    As I think you've mentioned before, it's possibly down to the climate, and centre fire shooters buying but rarely using them and caring for them well.
    I think those two Light patterns are beauties and they certainly put my own two to shame as far as their condition is concerned.
    I really like to follow your collecting adventures and hear about your latest acquisitions - keep coming with the posts

Best wishes, Clogger

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a very nice pair of light pattern BSAs, and in such nice condition along with their peep sights. you really are a lucky boy finding all those airguns you have, at very reasonable cost.

Wow they really look great , but what i would want more is that backyard because i have a largeish garden but yours looks huge

happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    Wow they really look great , but what i would want more is that backyard because i have a largeish garden but yours looks huge

happy shooting
    1.25 acres in the middle of a small town in Ohio. Lucky find years ago when I moved to town took retirement to really enjoy it. Really helps to have a nice place to shoot so close to your house one of the reasons I sold my centerfire guns and started collecting airguns. Found I never got to a range cause it was quite a drive.

Last edited by 45flint; 09-08-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Looks beautiful @45flint.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Agreed, you're a lucky man (especially if you have someone else to do the gardening )

very nice bud