Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with bought "once fired" cases

Problem with bought "once fired" cases

I have bought some Norma "once fired" cases, I have full sized them, but they will not chamber into my Howa 223.

I have re-sized successfully "once fired" cases many times with no problem and cannot solve why this batch are not chambering?

Any suggestions as to the reason?

Thanks for any/all replies
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Will they chamber with no bullet? Check the cartridge length as I believe this can affect the position of the shoulder.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

"Once fired" cases

No, I have not loaded a bullet into the case, I am just trying the cases fully sized without any success in chambering them.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    No, I have not loaded a bullet into the case, I am just trying the cases fully sized without any success in chambering them.
    check length first then set up die and resize......keep adjusting die until it chambers.....or give to me lol

I've had this - needed to bump the shoulder back.

"once fired" cases

How do I bump the shoulders back?

How do I bump the shoulders back?
    adjust your die another 1/2 turn and try again etc

This video describes it well so you can understand why and how.

https://youtu.be/azv1dxKQNvA

The quick answer is:

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    adjust your die another 1/2 turn and try again etc
    Basically pushing the shoulder into the die a bit further to bring it back.

Cases

I'll watch the video and thank you for the clip link.

Basically bumping back means adjusting the die so that it compresses the case more?

Do I have that correct please?

Basically bumping back means adjusting the die so that it compresses the case more?

yep......adjust a little then try to chamber......remember to use lube

"Once fired" cases

Yes, I'll try that asap.

I did follow standard sizing procedure, i.e. running down to case holder and also increased it down by 1/4 thinking that would be more than enough, obviously not.

Never had this problem with once fired cases before, but you live and learn.

Will try locking die adjustment down more and see.

Thanks for help.

Yes. When resizing, the brass was compressed and pushed the shoulder up. All chambers are slightly different. It helps to have a comparator to measure the headspace, but you could probably bump it by trial an error if you adjust the die in small amounts and test in your chamber.

Norma

Some of the best brass to be had... different dies give different results... I fls my 222 cases with Lee die and found that some of the bullets were a little loose in the neck.. switched to my Hornady die, fls and much tighter necks...

amc577

"Once fired" cases

Thanks for all replies.

I have successfully re-sized one of the cases, but only by taking my R.C.B.S. full length sizing die down to about as far as the thread will go.

As I said initially, I have re-sized many once fired cases and perhaps about a half turn decrease was required, what rifle chamber this came out of god only knows!

I thought that it must be something else that was causing the problem.

Hopefully I will be able to re-size successfully the rest of the batch, one thing with buying "once fired" cases etc is that you need to run every sized case through your rifle chamber to make sure all is ok or risk a possible jammed round at the range.

Thanks for all replies.

I have successfully re-sized one of the cases, but only by taking my R.C.B.S. full length sizing die down to about as far as the thread will go.

As I said initially, I have re-sized many once fired cases and perhaps about a half turn decrease was required, what rifle chamber this came out of god only knows!

I thought that it must be something else that was causing the problem.

Hopefully I will be able to re-size successfully the rest of the batch, one thing with buying "once fired" cases etc is that you need to run every sized case through your rifle chamber to make sure all is ok or risk a possible jammed round at the range.
    yes i would personally check each case to see if it chambers....once done you can resize as normal when fired in your rifle.