Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with bought "once fired" cases

i have a lyman orange crusher press with removable insert at the top so i can use the big martini henry dies which are 1 1/4 rather than 7/8ths etc.
    i couldnt resize the brass unless i took off the die lock ring and screw the die fully down until it was nearly out.
    the press ram basically was too short.
    i had to piggy back weld 2 shell holders together to raise the case far enough to work properly...... i know you can buy extender shell holders now.
    the issue is the top frame of the press is too thick to allow proper seating of the die.
    that was a pain to sort out but got there in the end......was many years ago though.
    not saying your press is wrong but sometimes simple things go wrong.......

i have 2 big orange crusher presses and both identical.......only one over cams and the other doesnt, didnt realise their made 2 types

once fired cases

Is it possible they need annealing? Once sized do they feel as there is no more resistance if you do it again. Brass might be springing back a little once done. Annealing will take the stress out of it. Interested to know if anybody agrees with me.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
    Is it possible they need annealing? Once sized do they feel as there is no more resistance if you do it again. Brass might be springing back a little once done. Annealing will take the stress out of it. Interested to know if anybody agrees with me.

James
    no but its good practice to regular anneal your cases.
    i dont with my common calibres but i do with the martini henry 577/450 at £7.00 a case.....every 3rd firing

"Once fired" cases

I thought that I had solved the problem but after trying more this morning, no good.

I have tried rounds which I have reloaded using previously fired cases from my rifle, all ok, so I assume no problem with bolt etc.

The press is a R.C.B.S. and no obvious problem with it as I have used it for reloading three different calibres.

The cases I bought as "once fired" are I think "once fired" and were from "bought" ammunition, one lot Norma and the other Winchester, so it's not case specific.

The thing that I do not understand is that I have reloaded Winchester "bought" cases from a friend who is a fox shooter, so only "once fired" and they have reloaded and fired without any problem for him.

I have taken my full length sizing die (which is a Lee and not a R.C.B.S as I previously wrote in a earlier thread) down by turns until I have run out of die thread. Still no good.

Is it the same type of problem that "Loiner" wrote about in an earlier thread?

I'm stumped and any ideas would be welcomed.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

"Once fired" cases

Just thought of one thing which I meant to do but haven't , I have not measured the overall case length, I'll do that now but have never cut to length the cases before resizing before and all have been ok.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

"Once fired" cases

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Just thought of one thing which I meant to do but haven't , I have not measured the overall case length, I'll do that now but have never cut to length the cases before resizing before and all have been ok.
    I've just measured both makes of cases, the Norma and the Winchester are both measuring 1.758" to 1.763" in case length.

Is it worth cutting the cases to length and then full length resize? would it make any difference?

you can trim and see if that helps...
    does the case go fully into the die when you resize?
    only issue i had is with different brands of martini henry cases when i resize.....some i have to really adjust the die until it chambers.
    you can send me some of the troublesome brass and i will resize in my die which like yours is a lee.....
    i also use norma in all my calibres but i do have lapua / rg in .223 as well

"Once fired" cases

I have CTL some of the "once fired" cases and tried again, no success.

The rifle chambers with no problem loaded rounds with bullet inserted.

I have tried some of my own fired cases, sized them and they are not chambering unless some force is used which generally damages the case.

All I can assume is that there is something wrong with the die set up, but what?
    In my experience nothing changes, so why is there this difficulty?

I have CTL some of the "once fired" cases and tried again, no success.

The rifle chambers with no problem loaded rounds with bullet inserted.

I have tried some of my own fired cases, sized them and they are not chambering unless some force is used which generally damages the case.

All I can assume is that there is something wrong with the die set up, but what?
    In my experience nothing changes, so why is there this difficulty?
    do you insert empty case into mag then chamber or do you just lay case on top then chamber....
    or half insert in chamber then close bolt ?
    take a dodgy case that wont chamber and insert bullet ( dummy round ) will it chamber then...
    sometimes if you try and chamber an empty case the extractor might not engage on closing....i always seat empty cases into mag well for this reason

"Once fired" cases

My Howa has a "trap door" magazine and I have been inserted them as I would with loaded rounds.

I'll try one just resting on top of the "trap door" plate and I'll try loading a dummy round with bullet inserted, that possibly could be the answer as loaded rounds I've tried chamber and eject fine.

I've just googled the problem and several people have stated that in their experience cases fired from another rifle never chamber at all or not well in another rifle due to headspace etc.

It's the first time I've had this problem with "once fired" cases, and it could be totally new cases from now on instead of a mixture.

My Howa has a "trap door" magazine and I have been inserted them as I would with loaded rounds.

I'll try one just resting on top of the "trap door" plate and I'll try loading a dummy round with bullet inserted, that possibly could be the answer as loaded rounds I've tried chamber and eject fine.

I've just googled the problem and several people have stated that in their experience cases fired from another rifle never chamber at all or not well in another rifle due to headspace etc.

It's the first time I've had this problem with "once fired" cases, and it could be totally new cases from now on instead of a mixture.
    cases from another rifle will chamber in yours when you full length size them as you take them back to saami spec.
    they wont chamber if you only neck size them.
    i set lee dies up by raising the ram fully then inserting die until it touches shell plate. lower ram them give the die another 1/4 turn ish......size then try etc
    if you dont want the onced fired .223 i will take them etc

"Once fired" cases

I set up my Lee full length sizer exactly the same.

If I put a "once fired" sized case resting on top of the trap door magazine plate and work the bolt, the case locates into the barrel.
    I have also made a dummy round with one of these cases and it loads without a problem!

So, I assume there is some issue with trying to load a bare case into barrel from insertion in the magazine.

I have never had this issue in 223 and two other calibres I reload for.

I think the next step in this saga is to size a small number (5) and load them, I'll then try them in the magazine and hopefully they should chamber and load and eject ok.
    I'll then take the rounds to the range and fire them and see the result re chambering etc.

Thank you very much for your help Loiner, I appreciate it.

I'll update after I've tried this, but it could be 10 days time as heavy thunder storms for this Wednesday at the range.

If I put a "once fired" sized case resting on top of the trap door magazine plate and work the bolt, the case locates into the barrel.
    I have also made a dummy round with one of these cases and it loads without a problem!

So, I assume there is some issue with trying to load a bare case into barrel from insertion in the magazine.

I think the next step in this saga is to size a small number (5) and load them, I'll then try them in the magazine and hopefully they should chamber and load and eject ok.
    I'll then take the rounds to the range and fire them and see the result re chambering etc.

I'll update after I've tried this, but it could be 10 days time as heavy thunder storms for this Wednesday at the range.
    no problem

From your description it sounds to me that there's a slight misalignment/step between block & barrel,
    the flat face of an empty case is catching somewhere on the lip of the barrel/chamber, where the taper of a bullet is guiding the round home.

Maybe mark a case to know orientation, try to load it & check the face for signs of it hitting/catching.

Tight chamber?

Hi, has it occurred to you that your rifle chamber might be at the bottom limit ? Also your sizing die to. Quick fix would be to grind 0.010" off the top of your shellplate and resize.