Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with bought "once fired" cases

Try also removing the decapper/expander. This can sometimes upset things by pulling the neck forward as it is being withdrawn.

Just to get clarity here, you have sized the case and it won't chamber, is this because the case mouth is catching on the edge of the chamber and you can't push the case into the chamber, or you have sized the case, it goes into the chamber but you either have a very stiff bolt closure or unable to push the bolt handle down?

If it the former, it isn't a sizing issue, more likely the feed ramp.

If you can get a case in the chamber but can't drop the bolt handle it is a sizing issue.

I think he means the sized brass does chamber if laid across the feed ramp but won’t chamber if he inserts into mag
    It will chamber from mag if the case as a bullet fitted
    The problem is with the feed angle etc
    I

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    I think he means the sized brass does chamber if laid across the feed ramp but won’t chamber if he inserts into mag
    It will chamber from mag if the case as a bullet fitted
    The problem is with the feed angle etc
    I
    Oh dear, the brass has had a pretty hard work out then with the amount of resizing it has gone through and the shoulders will have gone back a fair distance.

"Once fired" cases

Thanks for more pointers as to the problem.

Just to clarify, the cases are "once fired" , The chap's who I bought them off seemed genuine, I could be wrong of course and that would be a sad reflection on them as the vast majority of "shooters" that I have dealt with have been honest and helpful.

If I lay the sized case on top of the trap door plate, I can chamber it, no tightness of the bolt.
    I have also made a dummy round, i.e. bullet plus case, but no powder, the case will chamber from the magazine with no bolt stiffness.
    So for some reason these cases, two makes Norma and Winchester, bought from different people are not chambering.
    I have never had this problem before with any other 223 bought used cases.
    So not sure why with these two different makes of cases it is happening now.
    I will load 10 rounds of each make and weather permitting see how they chamber and fire at the range. hopefully no one can see any problems with doing this?

Thanks again for the help.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Problem with cases!

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Thanks for more pointers as to the problem.

Just to clarify, the cases are "once fired" , The chap's who I bought them off seemed genuine, I could be wrong of course and that would be a sad reflection on them as the vast majority of "shooters" that I have dealt with have been honest and helpful.

If I lay the sized case on top of the trap door plate, I can chamber it, no tightness of the bolt.
    I have also made a dummy round, i.e. bullet plus case, but no powder, the case will chamber from the magazine with no bolt stiffness.
    So for some reason these cases, two makes Norma and Winchester, bought from different people are not chambering.
    I have never had this problem before with any other 223 bought used cases.
    So not sure why with these two different makes of cases it is happening now.
    I will load 10 rounds of each make and weather permitting see how they chamber and fire at the range. hopefully no one can see any problems with doing this?

Thanks again for the help.
    This is a follow for all of the many members who gave views on my problem with loading.
    I have fired these cases now and no problem in firing single rounds or when loaded to magazine capacity of 5.
    Now that they have been fired once in my rifle hopefully the problem will cease.
    It would seem that when chambered as a powder loaded or non loaded powder round with bullet they chamber ok without there is a problem.
    Hopefully after firing all of the cases in my rifle, the problem will cease.

Thanks again for all of the help with this problem.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

its not as easy to chamber just a brass case from a mag regardless if fired from your rifle.....they will chamber if laid on top of the mag though.
    to chamber from the magazine they really need to be fully made up.
    if you buy once fired from some one else and you want to check if it chambers in your rifle when you resized it then just lay on top and close bolt.
    i have done just a brass case from the mag but have to guide it in and slowly chamber

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Sounds to me like you've caused a problem to exist where there isn't one.
    Rifle feed systems aren't set up to feed empty cases, so most of them won't, or at least, won't do it consistently.
    I'm at a loss to see why you wanted to feed empty cases from your magazine.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I use these to test/ measure cases and have found them useful for checking case dimensions

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/reload...dspace-gauges/

ATB
    James

Yip I use one of the above in .223 , as I just use my fireformed cases which are neck sized using the Lee collet die, and these are great for when you need to bump the shoulder a bit

Once fired

I've very recently bought one for 223, only just started to use it but finding it very useful, will most probably get one for 6.5 x 55 too

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I've very recently bought one for 223, only just started to use it but finding it very useful, will most probably get one for 6.5 x 55 too
    I would suggest that to utilise this rather than trying to feed empty cases into the chamber,if the case fit the guage then they'll fit the chamber.

ATB
    James

The problem is like others have said the brass is stretched at the shoulder get some new brass and chuck the old stuff I have just been threw the same with a new .243 I had over 800 case's from my old rifle and none of it was any good in the newer gun -I had the same you could not close the bolt even without a bullet seated -got new brass and it worked no problem----Also check the chamber for any rust just in case