Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Senior

Webley Senior

Hello

I'm new here and I was hoping someone could help with a valuation on my Webley Senior please?
    Its a .22 and has batch number of 840.
    I'm assuming that the grips are not original as I haven't seen another one with wooden grips.

Thanks in anticipation
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3236/0X7qxw.jpg
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8485/iMqMtd.jpg

Those grips look nice but appear to be quite poorly fitting. In addition the pistol looks have a hand painted frame. What that is covering up is any ones guess, a real home DIY job.

I would say it's worth no more than £125 on a good day

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Those grips look nice but appear to be quite poorly fitting. In addition the pistol looks have a hand painted frame. What that is covering up is any ones guess, a real home DIY job.

I would say it's worth no more than £125 on a good day
    Agreed. It has no collector value, only as a shooter. I think £125 is pushing it. I’d say more like £90 myself.

my self id give no more then 100 for it

£100+ for a Senior without original finish or grips! Blimey. Personally I'd be surprised if anyone would want to pay more than £60 or £70, as a shooter. That would be a fair enough deal for both parties, I think.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    £100+ for a Senior without original finish or grips! Blimey. Personally I'd be surprised if anyone would want to pay more than £60 or £70, as a shooter. That would be a fair enough deal for both parties, I think.
    Without wishing to sound mean, I would estimate less than that Danny. Zero as a collectable and I'm not sure someone would overpay for a 'shooter' in this condition. There are plenty of Seniors about in original if worn condition.

John

If it were mine, I would remove the painted finish, and if the original finish is present in reasonable condition, leave it alone, but if not, spray paint it with acrylic satin black and use it as a shooter, because, as others have said, it certainly isn't a collectable. The poor fitting grips don't really do it any favours, particularly with the ugly oversized brass 'Webley' insert.

Thanks for all your replies.
    I was aware the grips would be an issue. I'm not sure it has been repainted though. The photos make it look awful, in the flesh the paint is a lot smoother and blemish free. It was photographed with flash under a strip light, I probably should have wiped it down and used the "proper" camera.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Has it is not in collectable condition, l would say it is worth around £70 + just as a shooter for a quality made pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzer73 View Post
    I was aware the grips would be an issue. I'm not sure it has been repainted though. The photos make it look awful, in the flesh the paint is a lot smoother and blemish free. It was photographed with flash under a strip light, I probably should have wiped it down and used the "proper" camera.
    Hi,
    The thing is that Seniors were only ever produced with a high quality blued finish and never with a painted finish. I would also have to estimate the value at around £60 tops for your Senior due to the reasons outlined above.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 10-08-2020 at 12:23 PM.

I was aware the grips would be an issue. I'm not sure it has been repainted though.
    All Webley Seniors came out of the factory in a dark steel blued state, and they were renowned as one of the best finished air pistols ever. No paint went anywhere near any Webley until close on 10 years after the Senior ceased production.

The fact that yours has been painted at all will ring alarm bells to anyone who knows anything about them. That paint could be covering up a multitude of sins, one simply does not know.

i still say that it is worth a little more than most members have valued it at but , as a collectors piece, i'm sorry to say that it's dead in the water and could quite possibly run up bills of near £200 to get it to concours. The value is simply not there

£60 to £125 for the value of a common or garden Senior from knowledgeable collectors. A wide divergence of opinion.

Just goes to show how subjective valuations of vintage artefacts can be!

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    £60 to £125 for the value of a common or garden Senior from knowledgeable collectors. A wide divergence of opinion.

Just goes to show how subjective valuations of vintage artefacts can be!
    Unfortunately, I think somebody just looking for a shooter would probably be better advised to pay a bit more for something with bit more originality which would retain at least some collectable value.
    Brian

Thank you all again for your thoughts. I’ll stick it back on it’s box in the garage again 😆

Thank you all again for your thoughts. I’ll stick it back on it’s box in the garage again 😆
    If the box is original and in good condition, it could worth almost as much as the gun.
    Brian