Thread: Is this scope suitable for air rifles?

Is this scope suitable for air rifles?

Hi guys.

After recently selling my rimfire, I now have a vertually brand new unused Vortex 3-12x42 HP scope left over. And I'm just checking If you guys think that this scope would be suitable to use on a legal limit air rifle. Due to the fact that the parallax Is set from 30 yards to Infinity.

Opinions please lads :

https://vortexoptics.com/diamondback...ex_reticle=9786th
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

your scope is not suitable unless you get it re-paralaxed 10yds to infinity is what you require unless using fac and shooting over 30yds

Agreed. The scopes focus is set for what is considered to be an legal limits upper range. Closer shots will be more difficult depending on how blurred the image is.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    your scope is not suitable unless you get it re-paralaxed 10yds to infinity is what you require unless using fac and shooting over 30yds
    How on earth can you say that when hundreds if not thousands of people shoot with fixed PX scopes set for 100yds

Thanks for the swift replies lads.

I also heard somewhere that shooting a legal limit air rifle with a scope that's parallaxed from 30 yards to Infinity Is ok so long as the magnification Is turned down. Not sure If that's true though. Hence my enquiry on this topic 🤔
    Sam colt made them equal

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    set it to 30 yards and leave it there.... job done. plenty shoot airguns the fixed pa scopes set to 30 and its fine. like every HFT comp
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    set it to 30 yards and leave it there.... job done. plenty shoot airguns the fixed pa scopes set to 30 and its fine. like every HFT comp
    Is that the case even If the rifle Isn't used for competition shooting. I don't shoot HFT, only pest control.
    Sam colt made them equal

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    mate, it'll be fine. the only exception is if you are shooting very close up, say less than 15 yards. Even then, at 3x mag, it will still be fine, but you will have some parallax error. with a 30 yardd PX, 20-40 yards is near as makes no, unless you are using 20+ mag. At say 10 mag, no issues at all.

Best thing you can do is ignore my advice, and any other for that matter, and set yourself up some card targets at 10-40 yards. Set you scope to 30 yards PX, your mag to whatever you like but no more than 10, and shoot some groups at each range. You will quickly determine if it's suitable for hunting at those ranges, whether the clarity is acceptable, etc. And as a bonus you get to work out you holdover points for loopy sub 12 airguns
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the replies and Info JB.
    Sam colt made them equal

If it's parallax corrected for firearms use i.e usually 100yds then shooting at distances less than that there will be parallax error at distances less than that if you don't place your eye exactly central in the eye piece each time you shoot the gun. Unless the scope ia a parallax adjustable model it will be parallax adjusted to a predetermined distance;normally 100 yds for centrefire and 50yds for rimfire. A non parallax adjustable scope has to be parallax adjusted or parallax set to given distance and for airgun use that is normally about 30-35 yds.
    Re-parallaxing the scope to a distance more suitable for airgun use i.e say 30 yds means there will be no or very little parallax error at any other distance and the image will be in focus as the various magnifications as well.
    AO(adjustable objective) or parallax adjustable scopes have the advantage in that the objective lens can be focused at any distance usually from about 10yds to 100yds or infinity thus eliminating parallax error at any distance if your eye is not exactly central when looking through the eyepiece.
    If your scope is parallax adjustable from 30-100yds then you can set it on 30yds and leave it there for all your shots or for shots longer say out to 50 yds if you shoot out to that distance then you can adjust the focus wheel to that distance. If you wanted the scope to be parallax adjustable to less than 30yds say down to 10yds or even less you'd have to refocus the front lens but if you did that distance markings on the focus wheel wouldn't be correct.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 12-08-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks for the reply and Info Patrick. Some good Info there 👍
    Sam colt made them equal