Thread: Rust Bluing

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344

Rust Bluing

A ML friend of mine has had an unfortunate experience with an original Tranter revolver. He put the cylinder in an ultrasonic bath with jewellery grade cleaning fluid and it has removed some of the bluing. He is gutted, particulalrly after I told him that he is not the first to have that experience. I told him what I could remember of the rust bluing method and he is up for a go at it but I want to give him the best advice for his Tranter.

I recall reading on here somewhere a very good description of the rust bluing method involving hydrochloric acid and steam (not at the same time) but try as I might I cannot find it.

Anyone know where it is or can post a good "how to please"?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    A ML friend of mine has had an unfortunate experience with an original Tranter revolver. He put the cylinder in an ultrasonic bath with jewellery grade cleaning fluid and it has removed some of the bluing. He is gutted, particulalrly after I told him that he is not the first to have that experience. I told him what I could remember of the rust bluing method and he is up for a go at it but I want to give him the best advice for his Tranter.

I recall reading on here somewhere a very good description of the rust bluing method involving hydrochloric acid and steam (not at the same time) but try as I might I cannot find it.

Anyone know where it is or can post a good "how to please"?
    You would need to find a method that does not weaken the part as you know due to the high pressures it's under when firing.

It was a T20 post .

It's a tad rusty I think was the name of the thread.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....09#post6324909
    Last edited by bighit; 11-08-2020 at 12:10 AM.

When I was looking into rust bluing, there were some good Youtube videos of firearm rust bluing. Basically a home made humidity chamber and then for boiling off an adapted section of 4" soil pipe and a steamer (along the lines of a face sauna that you could buy online). Can't remember the link, but it's out there..

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Thank you gentlemen - I have passed the links on to my friend and confess to be rather interested in the process myself.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL