Thread: Just bought a new box of Marksman pellets No. 2 .22 BORE

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Just bought a new box of Marksman pellets No. 2 .22 BORE

From a small Airgun shop. The cardboard box looks very retro and the pellets therein look well and truly oxidised. I wonder how old that box is; maybe the style was not retro when the pellets were actually packed. I reckon that box is very old. New Old Stock maybe.

Anyway, they were cheap and they fit the Webley Hurricane "22-5.6 CAL" barrel well - best power yet: 3.0 fpe.

.22 inch is 5.588 millimetres.

I don't suppose anyone makes true .22 pellets now.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Hi Antoni

I just got some from Knibbs. He does 5.6mm Marksman pellets.

Hope this helps

Mark

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    OK. My point is: I reckon the pellets I bought are true .22 inch, and are still available but only from very old production.

Maybe I should not have brought this up. Expect it has probably been done to death.

Just that it reminded me of a time 25 years ago when I was trying to tame a Dianna sidelever, and the results from the gun shop's chrono imperial / metric pellets caused me some 'confusion' at the time.

I reckon the chrono I've just bought is probably the same model the (different) shop had/has. Anyway, this really has probably been done to death.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Ok well the ones I got from Knibbs are made for them. They are 5.6mm for use in the older British .22’s so may be worth a look.

Cheers

Mark

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I bought some a couple of weeks ago following advice on here to use in my 1963 mk2 (?) BSA meteor.
    Like yours mine came in a cardboard box and looked quite old-like me
    But that's how they are- probably made from old roofing lead
    But guess what- they work well in my old BSA!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    From a small Airgun shop. The cardboard box looks very retro and the pellets therein look well and truly oxidised. I wonder how old that box is; maybe the style was not retro when the pellets were actually packed. I reckon that box is very old. New Old Stock maybe.

Anyway, they were cheap and they fit the Webley Hurricane "22-5.6 CAL" barrel well - best power yet: 3.0 fpe.

.22 inch is 5.588 millimetres.

I don't suppose anyone makes true .22 pellets now.

One company does, Lincoln Jeffries. They make genuine .22 pellets under the 'Marksman ' brand. Still made and available in the cardboard boxes the same as they sold them in the 1960s.

Pointed ones come in green boxes and they are crap. the original domed ones are still sold in red boxes of 500 but I haven't seen the yellow boxes (200 quantity) for ages. I bought 6000 a few weeks ago as I use them in all my .22 and 5.6mm barrels from the pre war stuff to the 1980's British gear.

I'm not sure of the size for the same brand in tins because I've never used them apart from those in .25 cal and they work quite well in my BSA but the now obsolete Green Rhino are much better in that. The cardboard boxed ones in .22 got a really bad reputation because people used them in 5.5mm barrels and they don't suit.

You might have bought old stock, don't worry about it

From a small Airgun shop. The cardboard box looks very retro and the pellets therein look well and truly oxidised..
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post

You might have bought old stock, don't worry about it
    Yes, I bought a box a couple of years ago, mainly with a view to short range plinking in my 2240s. Awful. And equally awful in every other gun I tried them in including a Tempest and Mark I Mercury S. I did so want them to at least be half okay, to support the Lincoln Jefferies business, but they truly were shocking.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

.22 Marksman are still available to buy in card boxes - I bought some a few months ago to feed a pre war BSA that loves 'em. Strange thing is she hates other modern brands and my other vintage air rifles are, shall we say not at their best when fed Marksman pellets.

I love the way the design still looks pre-war and let's face it, they're relatively cheap and cheerful for informal plinking.

John

The pellets I bought were the red box dome ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    .... but they truly were shocking.
    Can you objectively quantify the degree of shock? What was the composition of the ballistic gel you used?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Can you objectively quantify the degree of shock? What was the composition of the ballistic gel you used?
    My budget wouldn't stretch to a block of gel that was large enough to guarantee any chance of a direct hit, sir!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

My budget wouldn't stretch to a block of gel that was large enough to guarantee any chance of a direct hit, sir!

You evidently need to practice more then! or surprise yourself with a pre war BSA and Marksman pellets The duo can actually perform quite well .

You evidently need to practice more then! or surprise yourself with a pre war BSA and Marksman pellets The duo can actually perform quite well .
    I do have a pre-war LJ/BSA which I love. But it's a .177 and very happy on the RWS Hobby and Superdome that it's had through it in my hands so far. Happy to give the Marksman a go in it, though.

I do have a pre-war LJ/BSA which I love. But it's a .177 and very happy on the RWS Hobby and Superdome that it's had through it in my hands so far. Happy to give the Marksman a go in it, though.

The .177 versions can be a little mediocre to say the least. Try them, they might work well. It is the true .22 pellets under discussion because they are about the only pellet still made that are sized to suit the older British (and US ) barrels

If I only had 1 pre war BSA, I would consider myself deprived and would consider counselling to see if that would console me

If I only had 1 pre war BSA, I would consider myself deprived and would consider counselling to see if that would console me
    Agreed. Unfortunately, my wife wouldn't......

She says I have too many already?

Dunno what she means!