Thread: E clips and circlip with holes, a question please.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

E clips and circlip with holes, a question please.

For general airgun use could either be used or is it the case that when they get below a certain size you are not able to use circlip pliers and that's why eclips are used?. Assuming you have a choice which is best and would an eclip and a circlip with holes for pliers of the same size be the same thickness. Many thanks for any advice.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Circlips need a recess to sit in which requires more machining, which needs very tight tolerances, the hole for the pliers to open/close them also requires space,
    Where an "E" clip is a single use spring/interference fit & the design means that if the pin tries to pull out it actually digs in more, to get a tight fit you just press it on, job done

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Circlips need a recess to sit in which requires more machining, which needs very tight tolerances, the hole for the pliers to open/close them also requires space,
    Where an "E" clip is a single use spring/interference fit & the design means that if the pin tries to pull out it actually digs in more, to get a tight fit you just press it on, job done
    I think you may be getting mixed up between E clips and star locks

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/circlips.htm

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Re E clip... is this the same as a C clip? Both are in the shape of an E or a C, which ever you prefer but they have an opening in the perimeter. This type is fitted into a groove in the pin by pushing it in from the side of the pin? They are often used in airguns and can be removed and refitted. I thought the circular type that sits over the end of the pin with 'prongs' around the hole and is then pushed down is called a 'star' washer, such as used to secure wheels on the ends of axles for toys etc. They are not considered as reusable as removing them usually destroys them.

Cheers, Phil

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    For general airgun use could either be used or is it the case that when they get below a certain size you are not able to use circlip pliers and that's why eclips are used?. Assuming you have a choice which is best and would an eclip and a circlip with holes for pliers of the same size be the same thickness. Many thanks for any advice.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    e clips are cheaper to make than circlips but offer a lot ess contact surface with the groove in the pin. Really small circlips do not have holes for pliers (some have small hooks) but the forces needed are so small that fingers and any pointy tool will work.

Thicknesses vary for both although I believe there is some standardisation.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    I think you may be getting mixed up between E clips and star locks

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/circlips.htm
    Indeed I was

Star washers

I might have invented it, but I believe these are sometimes used in bike steering stems & known as star fangled washers?
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    I might have invented it, but I believe these are sometimes used in bike steering stems & known as star fangled washers?
    J.
    Star fangled nut

They were a PITA when I worked in the mountain bike shop. despite the way they were supposed to work, they could loosen or spin when tightening .

I prefered the Headlock went right down through the ahead cap and under the steerer tube then tightened.

I used the big ones back in the 70s, Stopped my flares from getting caught in my cogs, Though they called them circlips

circlips are used on an internal groove (a groove machined on the ID of a cylinder / tube
    e clips on an external groove. I.E a groove machined on the OD of a pin or rod
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    circlips are used on an internal groove (a groove machined on the ID of a cylinder / tube
    e clips on an external groove. I.E a groove machined on the OD of a pin or rod
    Nope, you can get internal and external circlips, the holes are orientated differently for the application. Think about it, circlip pliers come in external and internal openers.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Nope, you can get internal and external circlips, the holes are orientated differently for the application. Think about it, circlip pliers come in external and internal openers.
    As above ...
    Oh, the times I spent trying to remove these things before I got the correct pliers ... (many moons ago)
    Cheers, Phil