Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will gun blue last without wiping with oil?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

How long will gun blue last without wiping with oil?

For many years I have wiped my guns after use and was wondering what would happen if I just left them, so I have decided to not wipe my one of my favorite guns that I use almost daily and keep indoors in warm and dry conditions, I am keeping a close eye on it but so far after three weeks it looks fine, it's so nice just to pick up and put down without any fuss.

Has anyone else tried this If so what was the results ?

It will entirely depend on the conditions it's stored in and the blueing finish.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It will entirely depend on the conditions it's stored in and the blueing finish.
    Well it's stored in the house in dry conditions and it's my Diana 460 so not like a TX but more like a HW.
    I know that my hands have moisture and salt but can the blue handle this without wiping with oil.

There should be no need to wipe them down after every use.
    How many metal objects do you touch in the average day without giving it a seconds thought ? yet I doubt you have a snail trail of rust following you around.

If they get wet they need drying & a wipe over but that's about it. (imo)

Depends what’s been on your hands.
    When we used to shoot black powder, the rifles would be showing speckles of rust after our hour long journey home. Some ‘dry’ things are more corrosive than others.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Depends on air humidity and how much you sweat.
    The salts from your sweat combined with air humidity can cause rust quite fast.

But it also depends on the quality of the finish. I'm quite relaxed when it comes to wiping down gun metal, and have seen rust appear on guns that have never been out of the house.

Barryg,

In my house, in the winter, steel almost rusts before your eyes

Modern oils with corrosion inhibitors, and a dry, centrally heated house are a positive advantage - the rate of rusting would then depend on the humidity.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Depends on the rifle and how it’s stored.

If it’s a pcp and you don’t touch any bare metal it might be ok.

If it’s a springer then wherever you touch it with salty sweaty fingers may rust it overnight!

But really how long does a wipe over with an oily cloth take?!
    Master Debater

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had been working on one of my Mercury's in the shed and had accidentally touched the cylinder with my thumb, it was left out in the shed for a couple of weeks and when I started work on it again the cylinder was marked where my thumb had touched it, it wasn't bad but the mark wouldn't come out with the usual oiled wire wool, so I eventually got it reblued.

I always wipe my rifles over now, even if I've just taken them out the case in the house to check something and know I've not even gone anywhere near the bluing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Avoid HP sauce in your shooting sandwiches

I think three weeks is long enough to go without a wipe over but it shows you can use almost daily and get away with it but not sure if I could do that with a wallnut PS

Why would you do this? Just leave and not wipe down?

If you want a fuss free finish where you do not have to wipe a gun down I would think that
    Cerakote is your friend ,)

I never use oil to wipe bluing,after ive used gun i wipe it down wih a soft cloth then put gun back in its case,cant see how bluing gunna fade if ya look after it.

I always wipe blueing after touching it with an oily cloth. My fingerprints will rust blueing overnight otherwise.

Blood can remove bluing easily too . I have a shotgun where blood from pheasants got on the barrels and it was not cleaned off in time and its damaged the bluing.

It was done before I bough the gun mind you and covered up but you can still see it.