Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don’t Weihrauch put walnut stocks on there springers?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    No, but the market is small and shrinking, well not growing unlike PCP's. If you want a lovely springer then buy a Air Arms, or buy something else factory and throw loads of money at it. Or just buy an oldr rifle that has some nice wood.

Mosts air rifles bought are still to have a plink in the back garden. How much they cost does matter. Later maybe then invest into something better.
    AA are probably the nicest looking, can't deny that, and well built too. I tried HW77', 97, and AA TX, TX HC for fit and found the HW, for me with my ape length arms, had the edge fit/handling wise. I also wanted an option to use open sights and that settled it on an HW77k - I have a scope anyhow. If the AA TX had fitted me better I would have bought it - with the optional extra Walnut stock and scoped it. I also had a go of a friends HW100 but the springer felt like I remembered from fifty years ago so I had to have it.

Regardless that three quarters or more of my shooting is just plinking, a drop-in kit was added from brand new. Also, not being morbid, but the reality is that more of my life is behind me than ahead, so these days I apply the same rule to whatever I buy - buy it now so I can enjoy it now...

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Personally, I don’t mind HW’s poor stock line-up, because Custom Stock produce a great selection and I get to support a British company.

I believe exceptions are the lovely 35E walnut and 110KT laminate stocks.
    I'm happy that you get to support a British company, so why not buy an Air Arms and support them instead of HW.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

It really has got to the stage where buying an Air Arms is the cost effective option over buying something lesser and then spending shed loads getting it as good as a factory Air Arms.
    If your not into tuning and an Air Arms fits you then they are that good. Hold second hand value well too.

Or buy a second hand vintage rifle that does well enough and can be improved on anyhow. Tuning and upgrading innards isn't exactly cheap.

There is a hobby in trying to get more out of a factory springer. Heck evn Air Arms get further tuned because they can be.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Walnut is lighter aswell,ive had tx200 beach stock now got walnut version and its deffo lighter.
    Do you think lighter springers are definitely better than heavy ones, if so why?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    It really has got to the stage where buying an Air Arms is the cost effective option over buying something lesser and then spending shed loads getting it as good as a factory Air Arms.
    If your not into tuning and an Air Arms fits you then they are that good. Hold second hand value well too.

Or buy a second hand vintage rifle that does well enough and can be improved on anyhow. Tuning and upgrading innards isn't exactly cheap.

There is a hobby in trying to get more out of a factory springer. Heck evn Air Arms get further tuned because they can be.
    AA only offer 3 models, all heavy, no break barrel options, the HW range covers everything from junior rifles to ones easily capable of FAC power levels.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to tune a HW, the days of shoddily cut springs seems to be behind us and the Rekord triggers are at least as good as the AA CD or better.

Drop in kits, including ones from members of the BBS, are relatively cheap and offer options from a simple guide and top hat change to short stroke kits.
    All of these kits are easily installed by anyone who has a screw driver, a punch, a chrono and a bit of savvy.

As for your previous post about people buying springers because they can't afford PCP is nonsense, I don't want a dive bottle or a pump to charge up a rifle.

I don't actually like shooting PCPs, they have no hold sensitivity, they have no recoil, they are like shooting on a video game.

If you want to shoot reasonably accurately with little effort or practice, buy a PCP, if you want to learn how to shoot, buy a springer.

I agree with your latter points.

I only shoot springer air rifles, always have enjoyed them for the practice they give for my other shooting.

As for tuning costs then sure drop in kits aren't expensive but then they aren't exactly cheap either. Add them to a new gun cost and it opens up other choices. Plus the needing the confidence to actually open up a rifle to fit all these after market parts; loads of people don't want to go there. Those who know a bit more might well go second hand as the starter gun to customise.

The point that I really wanted to make is HW hasn't taken their springer much further than the HW77, some 26 odd years ago. Webley and BSA did that too, but all that time ago too. Look deep and if anything HW have found some savings to build the same rifles. I don't know if this is good or bad as at least they still produce springers. But to me they are slowly losing that edge that made HW so great.

For new then AA has it. Sure break barrels are missing from their stable but its hard to make one accurate as fixed or PCP competition without hand custom work. I shoot break barrels but know they aren't as accurate without constant adjustment/attention. They are fun though, probably the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'm happy that you get to support a British company, so why not buy an Air Arms and support them instead of HW.

Pete
    Pete, I agree it's good to buy British but don't you think AA are missing a trick by not offering a scaled down version of the pro elite or putting the loading ports on their under lever rifles in the center of the actions ?

John.
    Hw77+7

Thumbs up

the latest line of laminate stocks seem rather delicate to me ......using walnut would've been more cost effective and prettier imo
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Pete, I agree it's good to buy British but don't you think AA are missing a trick by not offering a scaled down version of the pro elite or putting the loading ports on their under lever rifles in the center of the actions ?

John.
    Totally agree with you John but they don't seem to want to make one for some reason?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    I do, I have three! Two AA Pro Sports and an Ultimate Sporter 😁

A light weight springer break barrel may well technically have the potential to shoot straight on paper, but once in the hands of a person the theory usually goes to pot. Too much physical action going on, and so many body shapes to work with, they become unforgiving.
    Break barrels bring their own issues.
    Yes, it can be done but takes a lot of effort, and something factory is poor to do; best left to the custom tuners.

Light weight and a wopping spring aren't good bed fellows. Those that do bother making them would prefer to put weaker springs in.

Which is why AA doesn't do light weight and break barrel. Not when the rifles need to compete with PCP's. AA do excellent factory and their rifles high priced enough without having to do individual rifle tuning.
    The bottom line is a lot is known of what is possible with spring guns. There isn't much more that can be done that hasn't been.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The occasional walnut stocked Weihrauch air rifle would be most welcome from time to time as they appear to produce attractive laminated models fairly regularly.
    Being a southpaw, I was personally disappointed when they stopped producing left hand factory beech stocks for some of their air rifles some years back. I had one such stock on a HW 80k .22 at that time used solely for hunting and it suited me perfectly, how I regret parting with it. I do however own a 77 .22 with a similar LH factory beech stock which I’ll be hanging on to !
    On the whole certain stocks such as the 77, 80 and 95 suit me fine however, I could never get on with the factory stocks on the 90, 97 or 98, other shooters differ.
    “An airgun or two”………

Sense .

I had the good sense to buy a HW35 E . nuff said ??? HOLLY
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "