Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need counsel on getting to a grudge Bell Target Match in the UK

Quote.

“Curious if modern shooting coats etc. are allowed with the modern springers?

Also I assume given many vintage BSA had aperture sights that they were allowed in the “original“ vintages matches?”.

I don’t know about original vintage matches but,
    Dressing in “Gimpy” coats, cardboard trousers, clown size boots would be frowned upon in our “Vintage rifle comp. aperture sights, as long as period would be accepted.
    DaveM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I find that a very strange question considering you started a thread on the 21st of last month concerning the very same subject?
    Actually different question, in the old post I was asking if aperture sights are currently allowed in vintage matches. The current question you quote I was asking if they were allowed historically in the old Bell Target days. I guess my thought was I have to assume they were allowed historically so if your trying to recreate history not allowing them on a old BSA seems a bit of a historical travesty? Lol

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ht=Bell+target

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Actually different question, in the old post I was asking if aperture sights are currently allowed in vintage matches. The current question you quote I was asking if they were allowed historically in the old Bell Target days. I guess my thought was I have to assume they were allowed historically so if your trying to recreate history not allowing them on a old BSA seems a bit of a historical travesty? Lol

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ht=Bell+target
    Aperture sights were indeed allowed back in the day. In fact Guernsey based shooters won most of the air rifle matches between the wars and thought it strange that anybody would want to compete with anything but aperture sights. Our club at Bisley allows their use in the club bell target league - as you say anything else would be somewhat of a historical travesty.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Aperture sights were indeed allowed back in the day. In fact Guernsey based shooters won most of the air rifle matches between the wars and thought it strange that anybody would want to compete with anything but aperture sights. Our club at Bisley allows their use in the club bell target league - as you say anything else would be somewhat of a historical travesty.

Kind regards,

John
    Well that settles it, after I land at Heathrow and wrestle my BSA from customs it’s on to Bisley where British history means something!

I’m getting deja vu...
    Haven’t we been over this exact question very recently?

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"

challenge match!

Having watched Matt’s (ptdunk) utube on the Britannia I am convinced he picked a BSA Standard that He knew wouldn’t compete with his Britannia in that Bell Target Match. I feel I now have the perfect BSA Light to dispel this travesty of Britannia domination. My main issue is I need your help on the way to the match. I pack my 1919 BSA light with full documentation as to its 7 FPE and hope that this date also triggers your antique relic exemption? I land at Heathrow do I have a chance to make it to the Match on time?
    Be very careful what you wish for ,Matt is special in the accuracy department.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVALI View Post
    Quote.

“Curious if modern shooting coats etc. are allowed with the modern springers?

Also I assume given many vintage BSA had aperture sights that they were allowed in the “original“ vintages matches?”.

I don’t know about original vintage matches but,
    Dressing in “Gimpy” coats, cardboard trousers, clown size boots would be frowned upon in our “Vintage rifle comp. aperture sights, as long as period would be accepted.
    DaveM.

HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    Be very careful what you wish for ,Matt is special in the accuracy department.
    HERX77 .
    No doubt lucky we are separated by a ocean.

Actually I am about to buy my first Bell Target, there is a guy over here making them. I measured off the 6 yards yesterday and was trying to put pellet on pellet on paper. Give me a couple months.
    How did you get on with the bell target practice?
    It's been a couple of months, and practice makes perfect!

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    How did you get on with the bell target practice?
    It's been a couple of months, and practice makes perfect!

Cheers,
    Matt
    Didn’t get serious enough, need to bring it in to my basement winter shooting range. My problem I’m a collector more than a shooter.

edbear2 Guest
    Just a joke given my increased interest in English Bell Target. Got me curious if UK restrictions would apply to this old a gun?
    While working in Indy, I saw a boxed Webley Premier in a Pawn shop (Dock Bros)......I declared it as a firearm on check in when rotating back home, and the Homeland guys came to look ...."Hell boy, that's just a BB gun" one said.....The other asked me how it worked, picked it up and felt the weight / had a look and said (paraphrased) "sure is a nicely made thing, better than anything I have ever seen for an air gun".

I got a G+P sticker for the case (Give protection / firearm or similar) and off it went.

At Heathrow, everybody was away to their cars while I waited at the carosel for my case which did not arrive.........then the tannoy said "would Mr X make himself known to customs please"

I went over and two guys were there behind a counter, one with a ream of papers.

"we are given to understand you are importing a fiream sir, can you open the case and stand back please"

Case opened, Webley box removed from rolled up clothes.

"Oh it's just a bleedin' air pistol says one"

Other one "How powerfull is it, and do you have a certificate etc." (this had me worried)

First (older) one.."don't be daft, this would not hurt you at 30 feet, I had a few of these as a youngster......It's in very good condition, how old is it?"

And that was that!......maybe I was lucky in who I dealt with on both sides of the pond, but was painless and a bit of banter for me at least

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 14-01-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    While working in Indy, I saw a boxed Webley Premier in a Pawn shop (Dock Bros)......I declared it as a firearm on check in when roating back home, and the Homeland guys came to look ...."Hell boy, that's just a BB gun" one said.....The other asked me how it worked, picked it up and felt the weight / had a look and said (paraphrased) "sure is a nicely made thing, better than anything I have ever seen for an air gun".

I got a G+P sticker for the case (Give protection / firearm or similar) and off it went.

At Heathrow, everybody was away to their cars while I waited at the carosel for my case which did not arrive.........then the tannoy said "would Mr X make himself known to customs please"

I went over and two guys were there behind a counter, one with a ream of papers.

"we are given to understand you are importing a fiream sir, can you open the case and stand back please"

Case opened, Webley box removed from rolled up clothes.

"Oh it's just a bleedin' air pistol says one"

Other one "How powerfull is it, and do you have a certificate etc." (this had me worried)

First (older) one.."don't be daft, this would not hurt you at 30 feet, I had a few of these as a youngster......It's in very good condition, how old is it?"

And that was that!......maybe I was lucky in who I dealt with on both sides of the pond, but was painless and a bit of banter for me at least

ATB, Ed
    How long ago?

edbear2 Guest
    How long ago?
    Was 2014 according to Flikr folder. I think it's all about how you behave and your attitude as well to be fair, on flights I was on I saw other work staff getting shirty when bags were checked as they had put Snap On tools in etc. so then they waited longer as everything was checked

At customs, or at an Airport, especially in the world now, I have no problem at all with any security checks but some folk just can't seem to accept the slightest delay. Usually the ones who have been in a queue staring at the remove belt / shoes / etc. etc. signs for 10 mins, and seemingly not noticing everyone around them getting ready for the checks, untill it's their turn and then it's all huffing and puffing and holding everyone up.

Carrier was Delta by the way, out of Indy, direct to LHR.

Firearm guidence here;

https://basc.org.uk/firearms/visiting-the-uk-to-shoot/

I took the decision to declare a firearm myself as obviously it would not get past the scanner (you would hope) and also you get better care of your case as it is personally loaded / unloaded (at least on Delta);

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...sives-firearms

They are more used to folks cutting about with full bore hunting rifles / pistols and crates of ammo.......so a lil'old airgun was almost like a joke for them

ATB, ED

LOL.
    Not a gun but a mate of mine went to Canada on one of those Survival course holidays a couple of years ago. He took with him a rather large Bowie knife. At UK customs there was a bit of a panic but he was eventually allowed to take it in hold luggage.

On arrival in Canada, he declared it and was asked to open his bag by a rather nice little customs lady. She picked up the knife and , laughing, said " That's not a knife! it's the kinda thing we give our kids to play with. Thank you for declaring it but I've got better things to do so pack your bags and move along. Have a nice vacation sir."

How much embellishment there is, I don't know. But it struck me as funny

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    LOL.
    Not a gun but a mate of mine went to Canada on one of those Survival course holidays a couple of years ago. He took with him a rather large Bowie knife. At UK customs there was a bit of a panic but he was eventually allowed to take it in hold luggage.

On arrival in Canada, he declared it and was asked to open his bag by a rather nice little customs lady. She picked up the knife and , laughing, said " That's not a knife! it's the kinda thing we give our kids to play with. Thank you for declaring it but I've got better things to do so pack your bags and move along. Have a nice vacation sir."

How much embellishment there is, I don't know. But it struck me as funny
    The trouble is that in the UK firearms and the like are rarely seen, and also the H+S / box ticking squad have taken over, do you recall the street closed because someone found a few .22 LRs in an alley...no gun, but I suppose they needed the bomb squad

My last experience was selling a 1930's or so Kilgore cap gun on the bay a few years ago;

https://www.icollect247.com/item/155...t-Iron-Cap-Gun

I had pushed a bit of red plastic onto the muzzle on the listing and explained why to bemused American bidders. It sold so I packed it up with the loading panel swung up so anyone could see it was just a hollow item, and sent it Royal Mail Airsure.

Watched the tracking, seemed to be taking it's time, seller said he had not seen it after 2 weeks so rang Royal Mail.

Eventually I managed to talk to someone who said it had been intercepted, and had been re-routed by sea as could not be flown due to the security implications

To this I replied;

"It would be in the hold....The only way it would a threat would be if someone took tools on board, unbolted their seat during the flight, lifted the carpet and unbolted the floor then cut their way into the hold and some how found it, before re-appearing to wave it about....I think they may well have been noticed before that!"

It went all quiet, and he spluttered something about people not taking things seriously, to which I replied "It's hard to really listening to that nonsense", he then got quite shirty!

In my defence I was in a lot of pain at the time from various issues and not my normal self

I explained all this to the buyer, and we both had a laugh over it...he was aghast at the fuss and said it had caused great hilarity with his friends, but it arrived safe with an "opened and checked" lable on it in the end about 3 weeks later.

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 14-01-2021 at 01:00 PM.