Thread: Interesting BSA Improved D sold quickly in US

Interesting BSA Improved D sold quickly in US

Sold in a couple hours at the buy it now for $750. It looked like no logo on the stock so I assumed stock refinished but such nice wood. Metal on some photos looked almost too good to be true on a refinished stock. Wouldn’t even say it fired cause he didn’t know how to work it? It was gone before I got my questions answered, probably for the best 2 BSA in a month is my limit!

https://imgur.com/a/8eX0odv

Looked like a superb example. Stock finish looked right too. Not at all surprised it sold so fast, must be rare in that condition in the US?

This looks like a C.1912 BSA, so would not have had the BSA logo on the stock. It looks 'right' to me and has just the right level of patination on the metal. They don't often come up in this condition over here either.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    This looks like a C.1912 BSA, so would not have had the BSA logo on the stock. It looks 'right' to me and has just the right level of patination on the metal. They don't often come up in this condition over here either.

John
    I overthought it! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I overthought it! Lol
    I don't blame you as there are a lot of refinished BSAs out there.

John

Curious what a rifle of this quality would sell for in the UK?

A lovely improved Mod D with the woodwork being particularly attractive on this example. Not particularly rare though, so I would estimate somewhere in the region of £250-£300 would be realistic in the UK. Maybe I'm being a bit mean, but that's what I believe it would be worth to a knowledgeable collector rather than what might be the case on one of those internet sale sites.

Brian

Nice gun. The rear sight is a copy of the original in my opinion. The elevation wheel should be rounded slightly on its top surface, but that one appears to be flat. Also there should be a scalloped out area under the thumb wheel on the back of the sight block ( to allow better hold with the finger tips on the rear of the wheel) that seems to be absent on the gun shown. Something also vaguely registered in my head about the fit of the metal but plate. as if the stock had been skimmed/refinished, but that could be a trick of the light. The trick with this guns is to request photos of known wear areas (like for example the underlever pivot area) and check for evidence of wear. If none is to be seen on nearly a 100+ year old gun, suspect a refinish. These guns were so expensive in their day, that they would certainly have seen some use. Still a nice gun though, refinished or not .

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 13-08-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Check out the rear sight close ups here, and see what you think ?

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....d-d/#post-1767

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Nice gun. The rear sight is a copy of the original in my opinion. The elevation wheel should be rounded slightly on its top surface, but that one appears to be flat. Also there should be a scalloped out area under the thumb wheel on the back of the sight block ( to allow better hold with the finger tips on the rear of the wheel) that seems to be absent on the gun shown. Something also vaguely registered in my head about the fit of the metal but plate. as if the stock had been skimmed/refinished, but that could be a trick of the light. The trick with this guns is to request photos of known wear areas (like for example the underlever pivot area) and check for evidence of wear. If none is to be seen on nearly a 100+ year old gun, suspect a refinish. These guns were so expensive in their day, that they would certainly have seen some use. Still a nice gun though, refinished or not .

Lakey
    I was asking for an inspection period which I often get but sold in a couple hours. It just seemed odd that the tap lever area showed real use but that rear sight looked prestine also the trigger guard seemed to have no wear? Would have been fun to hold it and see it close. I think over here there was more of a tendency to see these guns as expensive toys and some were little used? At that price a refinished gun would have been a disappointment but over here these rifles are selling on line for this kind of money.
    Last edited by 45flint; 13-08-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was asking for an inspection period which I often get but sold in a couple hours. It just seemed odd that the tap lever area showed real use but that rear sight looked prestine also the trigger guard seemed to have no wear? Would have been fun to hold it and see it close. I think over here there was more of a tendency to see these guns as expensive toys and some were little used? At that price a refinished gun would have been a disappointment but over here these rifles are selling on line for this kind of money.
    Good observation Flint and Lakey.
    108 year old gun and to expect pristine original condition is a long stretch. it would be interesting to see the fit of the butt plate to the stock. That wood would have shrunk somewhat in its time.
    It is hard for me to see clearly, a couple of the fasteners looked refinished or remanufactured. Also, is the trigger fluted? It looks smooth to me.

Whether kept pristine or used as intended, they are a great gun and not often surpassed in my limited opinion.
    Still, at US$750 I wouldn't be looking except out of curiosity.

On any day, give me my battered, now recovered and respected example and I will use it with reasonable care and without angst about causing it harm by an occasional bump.