Thread: Original 5 or 6 ?

Original 5 or 6 ?

Just serviced a Model 6, has the new blue polyurethane seal fitted, doing 450 fps with Gecos. Got the chance to swap it for the old model 5 with wood grips and tapered barrel. Was thinking the old model 5 is more rare, have only seen 3, the 6 are very common. Is this a fair deal ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just serviced a Model 6, has the new blue polyurethane seal fitted, doing 450 fps with Gecos. Got the chance to swap it for the old model 5 with wood grips and tapered barrel. Was thinking the old model 5 is more rare, have only seen 3, the 6 are very common. Is this a fair deal ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The early woodstock Original 5 in a box is quite a bit more desirable from a collector's point of view. The later mod 6 is a pretty common pistol. But from a shooting perspective the mod 6 is a completely different proposition. It's a far more sophisticatd bit of recoilless kit, whereas the mod 5 is a well-made but basic recoilling break barrel.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Yes Danny, the 6 is one of the nicest shooting spring pistols around, lovely trigger and extremely accurate. I have resealed a couple of dozen of them and this is the only one I have at the moment, was going to sell it at Kempton for £120. The Model 5 with tapered barrel and wood grips (I think pre-1960) I have have only had 3 in my possession. At the moment the pellets do not even leave the barrel, but I can soon sort that. It is in lovely condition so I thought I may grab it while its available, not sure of value.

Baz

I think it would be a good deal - the mod 5 is much rarer.
    I bought mine in the late 50's from a second-hand shop but not boxed; I think I paid a fiver for it. It shoots well and has had a couple of new seals but not easy to shoot since it is not recoil-less and the rather small wooden grips don't help.

A good swap.

I have a very early model 5, with tapered barrel and metal front sight.

Well no wonder this had absolutely no power, the piston seal had completely disintegrated. Found an old one in my bits, could be an old Lawrie one, not sure. Was very impressed with component quality of this old German pistol. Used the original spring which has enough umphhh to still spit out a 7 grn Geco at 470 fps which quite impressed me. Does anyone know why they use such a huge spacer in these which denies the use of a longer spring for more power ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]