Thread: Britannia differences...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Britannia differences...

Just picked up another one at Kempton.. I know I'm supposed to be having a clearout, but 8 out, 1 in, is pretty good isn't it ?
    Besides it was heavily pitted in the past, and I felt sorry for it.

Anyways, whilst comparing them, I noticed that the newer joiner, serial 17xx, seems to have a longer cocking stroke. See pic here.. with the cylinders all aligned, the barrel doesn't come down anywhere near as far before engaging with the piston - about 10mm less. Clearly I am now going to have to strip them all to compare, but is anyone aware of any differences (besides the rearsight variants) ? the ones middle and bottom are serial 15xx and 12xx respectively.

Thanks,
    JB
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 02-10-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nice trio there Jon.

Could be someone has fettled with the piston in the past and machined a new sear slot - this was the case with an example I own.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Nice trio there Jon.

Could be someone has fettled with the piston in the past and machined a new sear slot - this was the case with an example I own.

Kind regards,

John
    could be a new piston, or the slot has been built up with weld, yes... hence the need to strip. Lucky these are really easy to take apart.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    A nice trio there you have, of all the Brits l have owned 8. l can't say l have ever noticed, as long as they worked. l would go along with John's comments above.

I just can’t get over you have three!

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Jon, I'm glad that you were just negotiating a price for that when I came along, otherwise I would have had it. and got strung up even higher when I got home You may have noted some of the current Mrs Clogger's comments on our collections at the Norfolk Bash.... btw, she hopes she didn't offend you at all
    I would have been more than happy to have paid the asking price, but was pleased to leave with the Original Mod.27 and it's small Burris scope

All the best, Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    but was pleased to leave with the Original Mod.27 and it's small Burris scope

All the best, Clogger
    that was a cracking deal mate

Hi,
    Both mine have the normal cocking stroke...

Be interested to see what you discover.

Having taken apart my new scruffier one I’m amazed how easy these are to disassemble,

Cheers,
    Matt

just to close this thread off.. the longer stroke gun did indeed have a modified piston - or more specifically a non standard piston head / washer, that was very thin. it was also not very well done, so it's now replaced with a leather BSA arrangemnt and works very well.

Reading this article (kindly fwded by Jimny4x4) , it looks like the primary differences were indeed the sights, and the trigger adjustment/access mech. Never realised they slid the sight forwards !

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/community/...nnia-air-rifle