Thread: Short Barrelled ROA Question

Short Barrelled ROA Question

I stupidly sold my Ruger Old Army a while back and regret it now but anyway, just seen a very attractive ROA with a 5.5" barrel advertised online but the seller is asking a fair bit more for it due to it's apparently superb condition and the fact that it has the shorter barrel. My question is, are the shorter barrelled ROA's as rare as the seller says ? Personally I've never handled one but love the look...
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

The short-barrelled version, called the Vaquero in the US, is much sought-after because of its basic sights which make it eligible for cowboy action, so I'm told. It was made from 2002 to 2008, when ALL ROA production ceased, although a very small number were made a couple of years back for an outfitter, selling at around $1400 or so. They all went in a day.

They are indeed rare over here, though. Is it blued or s/s?
    Last edited by tacfoley; 31-08-2020 at 04:32 PM.

I have one in the nickel finish with basic sights and the white grips. Its not as accurate as my stainless one with target sights but
    its a keeper. With the short barrel they feel chunky in the hand and just "right" I have seen one or two for sale upto £900 and they
    appeared to sell. I didn't pay anything like that for mine but I wouldn't sell it.
    I know Alan at A and A guns in Skegness gets the odd one in and he's a good bloke to deal with. I had thought about having mine
    converted to nitro but have resisted so far.
    How much is the one you have seen.?? If its in truly "superb" condition" and under about £700 I would be tempted. They really
    are that nice to shoot.!!
    Last edited by tim56; 01-09-2020 at 06:15 AM.

The 5.5" Ruger Old Army is simply that. The Vaquero is a cartridge revolver based on the Blackhawk frame and "Cowboyed up" for sport, competition and carry. I've never heard the 5.5" referred to as the Vaquero, unless that's a colloquialism from somewhere.

None of the Ruger Old Army's were nickelled. The 5.5" are stainless as well but were were given a polish as opposed to a brushed/satin finish.

The 5.5" is more rare than the 7.5". In the manufacturing period of ROA they were made for only a short time, relatively. I've owned both barrel lengths but only kept the 5.5". It does have a nicer "feel and balance" to it. I've found it every bit as accurate, but as it's a fixed sight option only, you either have to tailor your loads to where you want your POA/POI, or you hold off. I once read that the fixed sights were regulated for 35gns of 3F BP, an Ox-yoke wad and a .457 ball.

As said, under 700 would be the ballpark with condition being subjective.

Thanks guys.....I either get my Henry Trapper or the 5.5" Ruger....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.