Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossman trapmaster co2 shotgun

Crosman trapmaster co2 shotgun

I’m looking for a Crosman 1100 trapmaster

Not a lot in UK now but I know they’re still out there.

Has anyone owned one of these beautiful co2 shotguns?

Also what are the legalities on owning one of these?

I’ve heard you need FAC or SGC to own one, is this true?
    Last edited by Lee5159; 29-07-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    This is a very useful discussion, but can we keep to facts or actual relevant legislation please.

Thank you.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    This is a very useful discussion, but can we keep to facts or actual relevant legislation please.

Thank you.

Dave
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Lee5159 View Post
    I’m looking for a Crossman 1100 trapmaster

Not a lot in UK now but I know they’re still out there.

Has anyone owned one of these beautiful co2 shotguns?

Also what are the legalities on owning one of these?

I’ve heard you need FAC or SGC to own one, is this true?
    Personally I would say that it does not seem to fall into the definition of the firearms that require and fac or a sgc to own (read s.1 of the firearms act) , subject to (I would think) the total energy of all the pellets fired in one go being under 12 ftlbs.

But that’s just a bloke on the Internet reading an Act.
    Morally flawed

Crosman Shotgun

According to the article in the first edition Air Gun Digest, the Crosman had a bore of .380 with no choke, and according to Crosman each shot container held 62 grains of US equivalent to 8.5 shot, diameter .086 inch in diameter. Muzzle velocity was quoted at between 400 to 450 fps.

Each pellet weighed about a grain, so an individual pellet would be under the limit, but all together who knows.

Each pellet weighed about a grain, so an individual pellet would be under the limit, but all together who knows.

Muzzle energy is what it says on the tin. If that is over 12 ft/lbs when discharged it is a section 1 firearm

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post

Muzzle energy is what it says on the tin. If that is over 12 ft/lbs when discharged it is a section 1 firearm
    A quick look at an online energy calculator says 62 grains at 450fps = 28ft lds Ouch

Its a smoothbore, whats the barrel length? if over 24" it would class as a shotgun, under 24" it would be FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    A quick look at an online energy calculator says 62 grains at 450fps = 28ft lds Ouch

Its a smoothbore, whats the barrel length? if over 24" it would class as a shotgun, under 24" it would be FAC.
    For my money that’s the answer then. It’s on ticket one way or the other because of the ME.
    Morally flawed

Thanks for all the reply’s folks, much appreciated

ATB,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post

I have checked this out with an RFD who was heavily involved in the manufacture of airguns, now only one-offs. He had checked this out at the request of several customers who wanted smoothbore air shotguns. Because the ME is over 12 ft/lbs it is classed as a section one firearm and would not class as a shotgun. You might want to argue that in court if you have money to throw awy on expensive lawyers.

Micks Guns has a Trapmaster for £550. He is an RFD and would know whether it's s1 or not.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Micks Guns has a Trapmaster for £550. He is an RFD and would know whether it's s1 or not.
    He definitely would, I'll email him

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Because the ME is over 12 ft/lbs it is classed as a section one firearm and would not class as a shotgun. You might want to argue that in court if you have money to throw awy on expensive lawyers.
    Correct. It is covered by Statutory Instrument no. 47 of 1969 . The Dangerous Air Weapons legislation. There is no distinction between Smooth or Rifled bores. The only change to the legislation since it was made is that over 6FPE pistols are Section 5 now. Not section 1.

Can't get away with section 58 of the 1968 act as ammunition is still available and they are too new to benefit from the pre 1939 exemptions.

I can't actually see what this debate is about as the situation is clear cut.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Correct. It is covered by Statutory Instrument no. 47 of 1969 . The Dangerous Air Weapons legislation. There is no distinction between Smooth or Rifled bores. The only change to the legislation since it was made is that over 6FPE pistols are Section 5 now. Not section 1.

Can't get away with section 58 of the 1968 act as ammunition is still available and they are too new to benefit from the pre 1939 exemptions.

I can't actually see what this debate is about as the situation is clear cut.

The RFD I mentioned has a commission from a long time UK customer for a .45" air rifle. If it were a smoothbore the same paperwork would be required.
    Noce to have someone reply. One further niggle is why do folk misspell Crosman. The niggle grows in size every time I see the name spelt incorrectly. It's not just a pedant thing.

Talking

The RFD I mentioned has a commission from a long time UK customer for a .45" air rifle. If it were a smoothbore the same paperwork would be required.
    Noce to have someone reply. One further niggle is why do folk misspell Crosman. The niggle grows in size every time I see the name spelt incorrectly. It's not just a pedant thing.
    Yes sorry for the misspelling