Thread: Gun cabinet in loft!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gun cabinet in loft!!!

Thinking of sticking a spare gun cabinet in loft. And putting some of my airguns in there. Do you think there will be problems with rust. As the changes of temperature from summer and winter? And any you guys store them up there.

You can get electronic dehumidifiers that may work but you would need a electric socket in the loft to plug it in .

Do you have a walk in wardrobe that you could put the cabinet in to keep it out of sight ?

One of the guys I shoot with put his gun safe in the loft and all his barrels rusted to some extent.

I suggest a liberal coating of oil and store guns in silicone gunsocks!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it really depends on your loft... especially the levels of insulation and dampness.
    ive had gunsafes and guns in the loft with no issues
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The loft is 100% dry. But does get cold in the winter. Just struggling with space to be honest. May leave them down stairs. Die if my venom77 gets rusty.

Loft

My loft used to be a workshop for aeromodelling. No special insulation in fact in places it's open to the atmosphere in the eaves,
    Never had any trouble with rust on any surfaces. If it was me I would arm myself with some ACF 50 and give the barrels a pull through with it and a good wipe over. Do this and they wont rust.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Thinking of sticking a spare gun cabinet in loft. And putting some of my airguns in there. Do you think there will be problems with rust. As the changes of temperature from summer and winter? And any you guys store them up there.
    I have quite a large loft space in which I fitted a floor with insulation beneath it. There is no other insulation on the inside of the roof so, it's like an oven in the Summer and a fridge in Winter but it's weathertight and dry. Nothing up there rusts. In fact nothing rusts in my garage either which is a prefab concrete affair, draughty but dry.
    Have you got any ferrous items in your loft currently that are rusty? If not, there shouldn't be a problem, I'd just give everything a light oiling before putting it away in the safe to be on the safe side. I have one of those silicone impregnated gun socks for my shotguns and have never had a problem with rust. I would say that there is a greater risk from rusting in the living area where people cause condensation from breathing, washing and cooking.