Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun cabinet in loft!!!

Gun cabinet in loft!!!

Thinking of sticking a spare gun cabinet in loft. And putting some of my airguns in there. Do you think there will be problems with rust. As the changes of temperature from summer and winter? And any you guys store them up there.

You can get electronic dehumidifiers that may work but you would need a electric socket in the loft to plug it in .

Do you have a walk in wardrobe that you could put the cabinet in to keep it out of sight ?

One of the guys I shoot with put his gun safe in the loft and all his barrels rusted to some extent.

I suggest a liberal coating of oil and store guns in silicone gunsocks!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it really depends on your loft... especially the levels of insulation and dampness.
    ive had gunsafes and guns in the loft with no issues
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The loft is 100% dry. But does get cold in the winter. Just struggling with space to be honest. May leave them down stairs. Die if my venom77 gets rusty.

Loft

My loft used to be a workshop for aeromodelling. No special insulation in fact in places it's open to the atmosphere in the eaves,
    Never had any trouble with rust on any surfaces. If it was me I would arm myself with some ACF 50 and give the barrels a pull through with it and a good wipe over. Do this and they wont rust.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Storage in loft

I think it depends on where you live, the closer to the sea the worse the idea! I live one mile from the solway firth and things rust overnight in the garage! Didn't have this problem in Keighley. Have learnt to clean and oil tools, especially spades after every use, no longer keep saws in shed or garage. Guns are oiled before being put away, ex forces chaps quoted " I said oil it, not bath it". But it stops corrosion!
    David

It depends on your loft & how it's insulated, mine was like a furnace back in the summer I expect an icebox in the winter, I wouldn't expose guns to such extremes, but needs must if you have nowhere else.

I have a couple of cabinets in the loft, one for my shotguns and one for my air rifles. I always start the Autumn by putting a de-humidifier in each (Poundstretcher jobs, about £1 each). They will get a wipe over and clean mid-season, but I've never had issues, but as stated earlier, the atmosphere will have a lot to do with it and I'm pretty central.

I know that keeping a gunsafe in the loft seems a good idea from the security angle, but it's not. It all depends on access to your loft. Is there loft ladders in place or is it the step ladders ? The way the police see it, with rifles and shotguns, you are more liable not to put your guns away in safe after use straight away and to leave them out of harms way.
    Have a rethink and look at other possible places. Try looking at disguising the safe using furniture but again access is a factor.
    Also, please be mindful of telling where you keep your guns !

Air guns

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    I know that keeping a gunsafe in the loft seems a good idea from the security angle, but it's not. It all depends on access to your loft. Is there loft ladders in place or is it the step ladders ? The way the police see it, with rifles and shotguns, you are more liable not to put your guns away in safe after use straight away and to leave them out of harms way.
    Have a rethink and look at other possible places. Try looking at disguising the safe using furniture but again access is a factor.
    Also, please be mindful of telling where you keep your guns !
    The OP is on about airguns and rust not firearms.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

It's only for airguns. And my loft is securely located. And am not near the coast in Scotland.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    The atmosphere would probably affect wood stocks as well as wood “breathes” it may suffer distortion or even cracking if they are laminate stocks.
    Last edited by cptman; 11-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

wood

There's a point!

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    ... And my loft is securely located.
    Odds on it in the roof.