Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun cabinet in loft!!!

You can buy ‘drying’ silica bags. Buy a few and swap them each week, put the used ones in a dry room to getthem ready for the next use.

https://www./itm/2x1kg-Silica-Gel-De...MAAOSwIh1eoFuc

I used to live in a 1930's house with the original metal framed loose fitting windows and the house was damper than a haddocks sleeping bag, I had a couple of safes In the loft and I used to wipe the guns down with ballistol and a couple of VP90 sachets replaced every six months, never a spec of rust in over ten years..

Thanks for the tips guys. I do my centre fire reloading in the loft. And all my kit is rust free. But will invest in some silicon patches etc. Thanks Keith

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the vp90 is a good call..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    15 w lightbulb in the bottom of the cabinet, left on. Just enough warmth to keep everything a bit warmer than the outside, and prevent any condensation. 360w a day, or about 7p cost.

Jerry

Roodles is offline Stellen sie Fragen über Fragen
    After advice on here, I drilled a hole in the side of the safe and wired a 20w bulb in there (not energy saving)

Probably good for rearing chicks too

Depends on the temperature and humidity.

However you can now get vacuum bags large enough for rifles, you connect to a vacuum and suck the air out and they stay sealed. No air, no moisture to cause rust. You can always put in a Silca bag for peace of mind.

You can get air tight boxes big enough for rifles but they are heavy and are expensive (£100s).

All that combined and you'll probably be better off than a lot are. The vacuum bags will provide moisture protection, you just need to check they don't leak and they're cheap. The box just provides security against knocks etc.

kluson Guest
    The problem with lofts is the change in temperatures (like an Oven in Summer and a fridge in Winter) .will give some level of condensation issues.. one solution could be the stick on VP90 pouches which stick onto the inside of the gun cabinet. additionally a light film coating of oil with an old duster over your metalwork when putting away should mean you'll be ok. don't touch the rifles with your fingers when putting them in. use the rag/Duster

Good luck, hope this helps
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Roodles View Post
    After advice on here, I drilled a hole in the side of the safe and wired a 20w bulb in there (not energy saving)

Probably good for rearing chicks too
    As a thought I would have a look at fleabay for 'heat mat'. There are used for vivariums or brewing etc. An incandescent light bulb is inefficient as both a light and heat generator - heat when you want light and light when you want heat. A 5w heat pad would be a better and more economic bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    As a thought I would have a look at fleabay for 'heat mat'. There are used for vivariums or brewing etc. An incandescent light bulb is inefficient as both a light and heat generator - heat when you want light and light when you want heat. A 5w heat pad would be a better and more economic bet.
    I’m not sure heat pads would work very well. Firstly they would be pretty small to be 5w. Secondly the heat they emit is infra red, which is readily absorbed by organic items but reflected by metal and passes through air. So unless you’re containing the guns in something that will hold the heat a lot will bounce off or pass away. They work in vivs because you typically use substrate like bark which has moisture in it which heats up nicely. Despite that my girls used to prefer to sit on top of a log under a bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Thinking of sticking a spare gun cabinet in loft. And putting some of my airguns in there. Do you think there will be problems with rust. As the changes of temperature from summer and winter? And any you guys store them up there.
    I have quite a large loft space in which I fitted a floor with insulation beneath it. There is no other insulation on the inside of the roof so, it's like an oven in the Summer and a fridge in Winter but it's weathertight and dry. Nothing up there rusts. In fact nothing rusts in my garage either which is a prefab concrete affair, draughty but dry.
    Have you got any ferrous items in your loft currently that are rusty? If not, there shouldn't be a problem, I'd just give everything a light oiling before putting it away in the safe to be on the safe side. I have one of those silicone impregnated gun socks for my shotguns and have never had a problem with rust. I would say that there is a greater risk from rusting in the living area where people cause condensation from breathing, washing and cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    You can buy ‘drying’ silica bags. Buy a few and swap them each week, put the used ones in a dry room to getthem ready for the next use.

https://www./itm/2x1kg-Silica-Gel-De...MAAOSwIh1eoFuc

You can buy big bags of silica gell, lts Labeled as cat litter, stick it in some home made fabric bags and use these as dry packs, you can dry them out by putting them in an oven at under 100c or on a hot radiator.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Moisture.

Keith,

I had a cabinet in the attic.totally dry. Yet within 12 months of gaving guns in there all 3 guns had barrel / mod pitting Down just one side.
    Ive put it down yo moisture in the air, coming in through the door gap!

I wasnt happy. They had been oiled well before storage.

QUOTE=where's it gone;7925342]Odds on it in the roof. [/QUOTE]