Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well oiled!

Well oiled!

4 weeks ago I soaked a leather piston in neatsfoot oil overnight. I forgot about it until today and when I put the gun back together it was smoking like a factory chimney.
    Do I just shoot it and wait for it to clear up (it's not running hot) or do I dry the seal, and if so, how?

I guess if you put the seal between layers of absorbant material (does anyone remember blotting paper?) and left it with a weight on it would draw some of the oil out.

I don’t think you can try to draw it out with a solvent like rubbing alcohol without damaging the leather.

If it’s not kicking like a mule and possibly damaging the gun I’d probably put 100 pellets through it and hope it settles down, but I’m lazy !
    Morally flawed

Four weeks?,new or used I leave them overnight in vegetable oil.
    A quick rough up with production paper before soaking for used ones.
    The gun can take a few shots to settle down.

Personally, as its not running hot, I would just shoot it. Use up all those part tins of pellets we all accumulate over time. Another bit to the ozone layer wont do any harm.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've pulled it apart this morning and wiped the piston seal with kitchen roll then given the cylinder a wipe too. Now it's back together it's shooting as it should.
    It's a .22 with a 4mm tp and the power is about 9.5, is that about right or will it increase a little when it settles down?
    Thanks all for the advice and Guy (ggggr) for the pm.

Sorry, I double posted.

Has it got the leaking/pourous breech syndrome? I increased the power of mine by over 1.5 ft/lbs just by sealing the breech block leak. I didn't believe it possible until I did it.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Has it got the leaking/pourous breech syndrome? I increased the power of mine by over 1.5 ft/lbs just by sealing the breech block leak. I didn't believe it possible until I did it.

ATB
    Ian
    I tried the tissue test and the breech seems ok. The spring that was in it was only 7.5" long so I got one from my spares which is a good fit with about 2" preload (it may have been from a HW97). I didn't take the measurements but I could take it apart in the morning and measure it.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 12-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I tried the tissue test and the breech seems ok. The spring that was in it was only 7.5" long so I got one from my spares which is a good fit with about 2" preload (it may have been from a HW97). I didn't take the measurements but I could take it apart in the morning and measure it.
    'The tissue test' ??? Thats a new one on me. Please elucidate.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    'The tissue test' ??? Thats a new one on me. Please elucidate.
    Its when you are so excited at seeing a Webley pistol that you have an accident in the lower regions
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Its when you are so excited at seeing a Webley pistol that you have an accident in the lower regions
    Blimey, glad I don’t live in the Home Counties then.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    You mean ...... you s**t yourself? Ive finally found a good use for Wobblys. As a laxative.

I have just measured the spring with a cheap Aldi vernier gauge so I'm not 100% sure on accuracy but here goes. The length is 220mm, the ID is 14mm, the OD is 20.1mm, the coil diameter is 3.05mm and there are 28 coils and there's a 3mm spacer fitted too. Does this sound about right for a 1965 HW35?
    Even though I can't detect any air coming from the breech I think a new seal would be a wise buy. Are these a standard HW breech seal?

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have just measured the spring with a cheap Aldi vernier gauge so I'm not 100% sure on accuracy but here goes. The length is 220mm, the ID is 14mm, the OD is 20.1mm, the coil diameter is 3.05mm and there are 28 coils and there's a 3mm spacer fitted too. Does this sound about right for a 1965 HW35?
    Even though I can't detect any air coming from the breech I think a new seal would be a wise buy. Are these a standard HW breech seal?
    With a leaking breech the air does NOT come from out, unless I suppose in a really bad case were the end plug is dropping out. :-( Its internal and its during manufacture were the breech end plug is fitted and brazed(?) into the cylinder. Sometimes the brazing isn't 100% and thereby leaving small hollows which cause power loss.

[Yes to your standard breech seal ]

HTH
    Ian

With a leaking breech the air does NOT come from out, unless I suppose in a really bad case were the end plug is dropping out. :-( Its internal and its during manufacture were the breech end plug is fitted and brazed(?) into the cylinder. Sometimes the brazing isn't 100% and thereby leaving small hollows which cause power loss.

[Yes to your standard breech seal ]

HTH
    Ian
    Thanks Ian. This will explain why there was no movement with a piece of tissue paper over the breech.
    Does the spring size seem about right for a leather pistoned model?