Thread: Sheridan .20 power level

Sheridan .20 power level

Seems like it has been a week for pumpers, now been offered a minter Sheridan .20. The power output seems very low at 9 ft.lb. after 8 pumps, the rifle looks like new, as if never used, when did they stop producing them ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The classic C series (of which yours looks to be a very nice pristine example) was replaced in 1991 by the C9 series which is a completely different design.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    pump seal maybe gone hard, wasting air on the pump stroke ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I remember them being next to given away because they produced FAC power.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    pump seal maybe gone hard, wasting air on the pump stroke ?
    Sounds a good reason. Will have a look. I know the UK ones had smaller holes in the valve "cotton reel" which reduces the power quite a bit from U.S. spec. I believe there were three different hole sizes for U.S.A. Europe and U.K. market, depending on required energy limits.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

They continued to make them till 2013, but many would say they stopped making them much earlier as the rifle changed quite a bit after Crosman bought Benjamin- Sheridan and moved manufacturing to their plant. The last version had a capsule valve which was actually much easier to repair but a trigger that wasn’t really liked that much. Crosman bought Benjamin Sheridan in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Seems like it has been a week for pumpers, now been offered a minter Sheridan .20. The power output seems very low at 9 ft.lb. after 8 pumps, the rifle looks like new, as if never used, when did they stop producing them ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's a nice Blue Streak Baz.
    With holes for the William peep sight. Iirc, that means it's a post '88 gun.
    The year of manufacture can be determined by the serial number.
    The plastic cap should be behind the rear sight; between the breech and the rear sight.
    It gives a good steady hold whilst pumping. A common error is to hold the wrist of the stock whilst pumping, this can cause cracks.
    I think 9 ft/lbs is good by the way. But a reseal will probably up the power a bit. Usually I get between 10 and 11 ft/lbs on 8 pumps after a reseal.

piston cup more than likely as mentioned and post 84 by the drilled holes for a peep
    the bore on the exhaust body can make a difference but most i've seen in the UK are the same as ones i've got from the US and with them being radially ported the sum of the 4 holes is far more than the port into the barrel
    you'll also find many had too much headspace and if you make the piston adjustable like early ones your pump to fpe will get better -mine do two shots on 10 pumps at 600fps with the heavy 14.3gr pellets but won't go over as the springs and internal adjusters are set so above a certain pressure valvelock occurs-one day i'll make a pressure tube to see what pressure each pump gives

I’ve got a late 50’s, perhaps early sixties Blue Streak that was gifted to me by Jimmie MacGregor, the famous Scottish folk singer/ musician* and it was doing about 15 FPE on 8 pumps so my RFD tweaked it so it does about 11 FPE max, but has enough left for a second shot about 6 FPE ....or more by adding a cupla pumps.
    A bit agricultural regarding the sights and some of the metalwork compared to an Airsporter or Webley Mk3 of the same era but nevertheless a very accurate and powerful iconic air rifle of its era.

It always pisses me off when companies of all kinds of industrial and commercial genres accumulate other smaller companies/ factories etc by takeovers or mergers because it rarely, if ever, benefits the employees, the product or the public in general due to the cost cutting greed of the ‘parent’ company whilst the buy out the opposition... Capitalism at it worst and sadly it’s all too prevalent in recent and not so recent times.

*Jimmie is one half of the acclaimed duo ‘Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor’ who were regularly featured on TV back in the 60’s and on two occasions headlined gigs at the Cavern Club Liverpool and a theatre in Bedford supported by none other than the Beatles. He very kindly gave me an early Webley Osprey as well....He hit the big 90 last March and he’s still playing gigs although not many in recent months due to this Bastard virus.

Very nice! I missed out on a blue streak recently because I had already thought a Sharp Innova. I wish I had waited. These streaks are lovely and made to last.