Thread: Barrys BSA 1922-1923(?) BSA S

Barrys BSA 1922-1923(?) BSA S

A good mate has come upon a BSA S that has been in the possession of the ignorant and uncaring.
    He is a generous bloke who was doing a favour for a neighbour by cleaning up this BSA, along with a bayonet and sword that held historical family value for his neighbour.
    Barry had not been looking for a BSA. Then when it was offered, how could he say no when his neighbour offered it to him?

Despite that it needs some attention, remedial surgery and a couple of items, it will be another survivor.

Here are some images

The stock was well and truly attached too. After much thought and reading of others experiences on the BBS he spent some time and effort after which it was separated.

There is a bit of work to do and the aperture sight has seen better days and deteriorated badly.
    The all important internals and rifling are better than acceptable.

There will be a few items that he will need. Freebies are nice and so is some cash, so if any of the members can help out that would be marvelous.

I do know that the H sight blade is missing and that aperture is beyond redemption. The rest are incidentals like fasteners and springs.

images upload

Last edited by slow_runner; 16-09-2020 at 01:54 AM.

That makes very sad viewing, when all that was needed was five minutes of care application and storage.
    I don’t own many early guns, a “ C “ and “ A “ series , model “ D “ imp and I believe an “S “ also .
    I’ll give mine another oily wipe today after seeing that.

Hope he can save it!

Gidday Steve.
    First thing is to get it to a reasonable state and shooting at its optimum. It will never be a shining example ever again but it will continue to give satisfactory service and enjoyment.
    They are great guns aye.

It probably did have oil on it at one time Steve.
    In my experience and opinion, oil is not the best reliable long term solution. if it had been treated with bees wax or lanolin it would have stayed in better shape for far longer.
    But that subject has been discussed previously
    Last edited by slow_runner; 16-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.

wallhanger
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    wallhanger
    Cynic Do you have a H section sight blade? or an aperture sight in better nick than the original to gift or sell to the project??

Down this way we are not so blessed to be able to pick and choose. You may use such as this old BSA as an ornament but this will not be retired.

No right thinking person would hang such an example on the wall, leastways not in its present state.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 16-09-2020 at 12:16 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    The thing is, no mater how bad it is on the outside as long as it shoots ok. my worst condition BSA is also my most accurate shooter of them all.

It is sad to see corrosion that has bitten so deeply into the metal Ken but I have yet to see rust so bad that it's made a prewar BSA unusable. As Mick says, it's the internal condition that counts. I've also had externally badly rusted rifles that shot beautifully, although of course as a collector the nearer an airgun is to factory condition, the more I treasure it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thumbs up Bottom feeders

or preserving what others would discard?

Whatever comes our way we value; who are we to refuse? Because we are not spoilt for choice nor flush with reserves, anymore
    Monied or not, on the odd occasion good fortune smiles down on us and washes us with her grace. It is a great feeling, is it not?
    Not for a while though
    Barry has been doing his best but between you and me, he is a bit on the cautious, considered side. Which is probably why we get on so well, eh Baz mate?
    He has done some commendable work, here is the stock after some recent attention. What remained of the checkering is only a faint memory. i guess that next is fitting a piece of suitable walnut and some shaping.
    The stock is still firmly attached to the trigger block and refuses to move.

Still looking for a genuine H sight insert

gif upload

Does anyone recognise this sight insert?

Last edited by slow_runner; 27-09-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    or preserving what others would discard?

Whatever comes our way we value; who are we to refuse? Because we are not spoilt for choice nor flush with reserves, anymore
    Monied or not, on the odd occasion good fortune smiles down on us and washes us with her grace. It is a great feeling, is it not?
    Not for a while though
    Barry has been doing his best but between you and me, he is a bit on the cautious, considered side. Which is probably why we get on so well, eh Baz mate?
    He has done some commendable work, here is the stock after some recent attention. What remained of the checkering is only a faint memory. i guess that next is fitting a piece of suitable walnut and some shaping.
    The stock is still firmly attached to the trigger block and refuses to move.

Still looking for a genuine H sight insert

gif upload

Does anyone recognise this sight insert?

Kia ora. I have L3147x which is also fitted with the flip-up rear sight. However, the sight insert (on the normal rear sight by the loading port) on mine is a "V"-notch and I thus wonder whether the sight insert that you have pictured is something that would have been supplied with the flip-up rear sight so that you were looking through two holes rather than through one hole, a "V" and a bead foresight? There might be a lot of adjustment involved with elevation on both the flip-up sight and the normal sight ahead of the loading port. Just a thought, as I haven't seen any other "L" models to compare......

Nau mai severnsider. Nice air rifles the L pattern.
    The flip up sight on the S is sure a sad sad thing to see.

That sight blade with the hole is among a few items that Barry has, unfortunately none of which are of use on his S model but as far as I know, are available for exchange.

This hole blade has us both wondering what and where it is from?