Thread: MTC Viper Pro 5-30x50 Anyone use one?

MTC Viper Pro 5-30x50 Anyone use one?

Just seeking out a bit of feedback from anyone who is using or has used the latest MTC Viper Pro 5-30x50 scope

I'm looking for a general purpose target scope with enough mag for 25yd benchrest.

How good are the optics generally? how sharp at 25yds? is the SCB2 ret too cluttered?

On spec it seems a decent scope for a reasonable price but I've not heard much about it from anyone using one.

I have a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 but that is just on the cusp of minimum parallax at 25yds and so not quite there for 25yd bench and not good below that obviously.

Thanks

I recently bought one and use it for bench rest no complaints nice and clear good optics...mind you the geared turrets are going to be wasted as they will never be used as intended.

I also have Hawke FFP and Airmax and would say that optics are on a par with the FFP and slightly better than Airmax...one thing i will add is that i needed a pair of elevation adjustable mounts as the scope only just had enough adjustment and i dont like being at the limit.

Ditto. Good scope. Image good. The ret isnt too fussy but your not aiming off or dialling in so you are just using one bit of the ret.

Personally I echo the observation you are buying a BDC scope but using it for a fixed bench rest distance.

Potentially, money can be spent on a simpler trad turret and better glass/coatings and maybe a ret that is not so info rich.

Mine will be going on air - sub 12 and FAC and rimmies and full bores so the 1 turn BDC is great.

For bench I much prefer a floating dot as oppossed to cross hair no matter how fine. My brain works centering a circle on circle but the cross hair I always seem to perceive it isnt dead centre and I can stray into hunting dead centre when it really isnt going to take me off the bull.

KISS as they say.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

ive one here brand new in the box going up for sale soon,to much scope for what i need

Thanks for the input guys, useful observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    one thing i will add is that i needed a pair of elevation adjustable mounts as the scope only just had enough adjustment and i dont like being at the limit.
    I have a set of Sportsmatch ATP66 adjustables so OK on that front if the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Personally I echo the observation you are buying a BDC scope but using it for a fixed bench rest distance.

Potentially, money can be spent on a simpler trad turret and better glass/coatings and maybe a ret that is not so info rich.

KISS as they say.
    But I did say that I wanted it for general target/plinking stuff as well as benchrest, If I wanted BR only I would have kept my Leup 35x
    Last edited by niloc; 29-09-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Indeed you did say a general but your focus (pardon the pun) seemed to be on bench rest and I was picking up on what the first response was saying.

In that case, if the ret doesn't bug your brain out, it would be a good choice imho.

It can get a little dark on top mag and the side focus has a little whiplash in it on mine, but other than that.....

Hopefully you mean backlash.

He's clearly thinking of another forum

I know what I meant. I already got a kipper fetish thanks to pinko cooper

I've had once since their launch a few years back.

My thoughts;

PRO
    Super clear up to around x24 magnification.
    Paralax can be adjusted to pin sharp between 10-60 yards (not really tried and further).
    Nice bright glass.
    Nice fine useful multi aimpoint reticle.
    Does well in a 'box' test.
    Lever locking turret's.
    Has a quality 'feel'.
    Come with a extra sunshade and flip-ups.

CON
    Long, even longer with the sunshade on.
    No large paralax wheel included.
    Not really a 'rangefinder' using the parallax adjustment (but MTC don't claim it to be).
    The IR eats batteries like no other IR scope I've ever come across.
    'Whiteout' at max mag very easily, becomes very head/eye alignment fussy.
    Can run out of elevation, best used with adjustable mounts.

I'd take a look at the Discovery HD 34mm 5-30×56 FFP if you like FFP scopes similar money to the Viper PRO, I've not had the chance to look through one but in theory the 34mm tube should make for a brighter scope at high mag/low light.
    As ever with scope if you can find one to have a look through, as it may not suit your eyes.

CON
    Long, even longer with the sunshade on.not generally an issue if its on a bench rest rifle predominantly. Mine is on air and powder and I dont have an issue.

No large paralax wheel included. true but its not a range finding scope and the turrets are easily dialled even with gloves. The free wheel non click setting also allows for an infinite amount of adjustment. Clicks are fixed at whatever they are set at.

Not really a 'rangefinder' using the parallax adjustment (but MTC don't claim it to be).yip

The IR eats batteries like no other IR scope I've ever come across.not had thst issue with mine but generally its always on a low setting as a rule?

'Whiteout' at max mag very easilyyes agreed. MYCs are prone to this at higher mags and/or shooting into light like a sunrise or sunset.

becomes very head/eye alignment fussy.well in target at least, that may help alignment as oppossed to be a true hinderence. If its bad it can be an ar5e though. It does however suggest that your basic rifle set up isnt right to begin with assuming your rifle offers adjustments at all. Mine does

Can run out of elevation, best used with adjustable mounts. Not come across this yet but fair play.

All good constructive thoughts and opinions there thanks, It looks like most of the issues are able to be overcome one way or another, if indeed they become issues to me, it looks like one could very well be worth a try.

It is always going to be a compromise but I just got fed up with the fixed mag that, is so good for benchrest targets, but pretty useless for any other general target plinking.

CON
    Long, even longer with the sunshade on.not generally an issue if its on a bench rest rifle predominantly. Mine is on air and powder and I dont have an issue.

No large paralax wheel included. true but its not a range finding scope and the turrets are easily dialled even with gloves. The free wheel non click setting also allows for an infinite amount of adjustment. Clicks are fixed at whatever they are set at.

Not really a 'rangefinder' using the parallax adjustment (but MTC don't claim it to be).yip

The IR eats batteries like no other IR scope I've ever come across.not had thst issue with mine but generally its always on a low setting as a rule?

'Whiteout' at max mag very easilyyes agreed. MYCs are prone to this at higher mags and/or shooting into light like a sunrise or sunset.

becomes very head/eye alignment fussy.well in target at least, that may help alignment as oppossed to be a true hinderence. If its bad it can be an ar5e though. It does however suggest that your basic rifle set up isnt right to begin with assuming your rifle offers adjustments at all. Mine does

Can run out of elevation, best used with adjustable mounts. Not come across this yet but fair play.
    Don't get me wrong it's a good scope, but not without it's issues And I wanted to give what I consider to be a balanced view.

Looking at my PRO's & CON's I see I listed more PRO's and do believe that it stands up well against anything in it's price range with a similar magnification level, it works better for me than the equivalent Hawke, but I've not had chance to look through the Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Don't get me wrong it's a good scope, but not without it's issues And I wanted to give what I consider to be a balanced view.

Looking at my PRO's & CON's I see I listed more PRO's and do believe that it stands up well against anything in it's price range with a similar magnification level, it works better for me than the equivalent Hawke, but I've not had chance to look through the Discovery.
    Agreed. I haven't come across a gun let alone a scope. Generally, MTC provides a decent value for money solution with higher spec and good customer support especially when Gary 'pinko' and Sammie were running it. Now its Daystate and so far the transistion has been excellent.

Agreed. I haven't come across a gun let alone a scope. Generally, MTC provides a decent value for money solution with higher spec and good customer support especially when Gary 'pinko' and Sammie were running it. Now its Daystate and so far the transistion has been excellent.
    Daystate/MTC queries are seemingly still fronted by Gary and then passed through to a very responsive and efficient girl called Hannah. They sorted out some Viper Connect bits for me a couple of weeks ago, no trouble at all, great service continues.