Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do new HW springers still twang?

Quote Originally Posted by accused View Post
    I think they all shoot ok and the kits pretty much just quieten things, they only need a decent guide and not to chop springs and not finish them, never understood why they don't do those last bits on otherwise excellent guns.
    Exactly! Why not do this?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The last couple I bought ('35E and '50) didn't but then again - Im just naturally lucky and some say good looking.

ATB
    Ian
    Or just deaf.

Earlier this year I bought two HW30 rifles, a UK spec HW30SF and a German ‘F’ spec HW30S. The obvious difference is the spring and the power difference (although not that big a difference as the HW30S gave more than the ‘F’ 7.5J limit). I’m not a spring gun fan, but both these seemed ok, without any obvious twanging (to my ears). Both reasonably calm, but then nowhere near 12fpe. Lovely to shoot with open sights, standing unsupported 6 and 10m. It is just a perception, reliant on memory, but after 2-3000 pellets they seem to be even smoother and pleasant to shoot (clearly not PCP levels of recoil) - do we jump in and fit a kit without letting the springers bed-in?

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Or just deaf.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It is just a perception, reliant on memory, but after 2-3000 pellets they seem to be even smoother and pleasant to shoot (clearly not PCP levels of recoil) - do we jump in and fit a kit without letting the springers bed-in?
    Yes.
    Because "bedding in" without a proper rear guide and tophat often means "bending in"- when the spring gets a bit bent it fits tighter on the rear guide, and vibrations get somewhat dampened.