Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do new HW springers still twang?

Do new HW springers still twang?

I'd like to buy a new HW springer but it puts me off if I still have to strip it and fit a kit, are they OK now or still use a sloppy guide and too much grease!
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

the last one i bought direct from the gun shop still had a bad twang

Most twang but some don't....

My latest 2, weren't bad at all, a 30 from a gunshop & new, though i have fitted a kit, then i picked up an untouched 80 that was a few weeks old, thats not bad either

I think they all shoot ok and the kits pretty much just quieten things, they only need a decent guide and not to chop springs and not finish them, never understood why they don't do those last bits on otherwise excellent guns.
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

HW95L Twang

I don't really know what a twang sound is but my new HW95L sounds similar to my Benjamin Trail NP. The cocking action feels smooth with no grinding noise. FWIW

They all twang like a banjo.

What he said.
    You'll want to put a kit in whatever you buy.

They certainly do.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Yep, twangy. HW77 new 3 months ago, was in bits for a top hat, piston sleeve and re-lube within a week. Factory spring ends were finished fairly well though, not too much grease in it and it shot lovely straight out the box. But mechanically so much quieter after some TLC.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by accused View Post
    I'd like to buy a new HW springer but it puts me off if I still have to strip it and fit a kit, are they OK now or still use a sloppy guide and too much grease!
    Yep. I think I know where you're coming from. You want a good quality product and you'd happily pay a few extra notes just to have that reassuring 'thump' instead of the all too familiar 'boing'. That last thing you want is to strip a brand new gun just to make it a more enjoyable experience to own and shoot.

What would it take during manufacture to have a few guides (even if they had to be slightly different sizes) and just fit one that suits the spring. It sounds like a simple fix but I'm not a production expert/engineer - maybe it's not?
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

I think I would have been bit disappointed if it hadn't twanged a bit, I wouldnt have had an excuse to pull it to pieces and poke around inside. I know that's not for everyone but I get so much more enjoyment from shooting the springy guns than I have from friends R10 or HW100 that I've been lucky to have a go with recently. If your hearts set on a springy HW, and mine was on a laminate 77, go for it and find a reputable local tuner to do a basic tune for you.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    What would it take during manufacture to have a few guides (even if they had to be slightly different sizes) and just fit one that suits the spring. It sounds like a simple fix but I'm not a production expert/engineer - maybe it's not?
    Fitting a tight enough guide is a bit more work than fitting a loose guide. To properly stop spring vibrations a guide has to be fitted to the spring ID in the state the spring is in when fitted in the gun. This means an oversize fit, and oversize guides can be a bit of work to get into the spring.

More work on assembly = higher cost for the customer.

Plus they have to have an assortment of oversize guides instead of just one undersize that fits all, which also means higher cost for the customer.

Quite a few new HWs that I have tried in more recent times were not twangy and very pleasant to shoot.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The last couple I bought ('35E and '50) didn't but then again - Im just naturally lucky and some say good looking.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk