Thread: Oiling old woodwork

Oiling old woodwork

I'm tidying up an old stock for a friend and around the top of the grip, where the back of action sits in the wood, theres quite a lot of staining. I think this is because this is an area where the grain is open and its let oil or sweat soak in over the years.

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause any issues when I oil the stock? It's back to original wood, all the old finish is gone and it looks really tidy apart from some visible staining in this area. Everytime I've passed over this area its clogged the sandpaper up so obviously quite well soaked over the years. I dont want to try and rub it out as that's going to alter the shape of the stock. Getting ready for a good rub down with fine wool and thought I'd ask advice on here before I starting applying coats of oil only to find it's going to look horrible in that area.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Try using a very warm iron over 3 or 4 layers of kitchen paper to absorb the oil/sweat.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Cheers for that tip. Will give that a go this weekend.

Its been called "chemical rot" by gunsmiths here in Norway, with an explanation that the mineral oils used on the action and metal reacts with the wood and causes this darkening of the wood.

in my experience it is very difficult to remove soaked in mineral oil from a stock,it goes deep into the open grain leaving black staining.removing the top layer with heat or solvents is easy enough but the deeper stuff seems to come back to the surface.i'm not going to recommend it but i have run stocks through the dishwasher,very harsh way to treat a stock which could go wrong for obvious reasons.forget wood bleaches,they're a waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    ..... i have run stocks through the dishwasher,very harsh way to treat a stock which could go wrong for obvious reasons....

Dont think I'll be experimenting with the dishwasher technique on someone else's stock! It's not really bad staining but sure it'll be even more obvious theres a colour difference once some oil goes on. Have to try the warm iron yet though to see if any can be drawn out.

http://imgur.com/a/rvUGGqP

I am sure there is an American gunsmithing channel (Midway or similar) who has one video where he talks about soaking a complete stock in acetone to get oil stains out.
    Perhaps wiping with a solvent soaked rag might draw it out?
    I suspect time and patience are the most important technique.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Oil

Yes Acetone will clean out all the old oil. A good soak but be aware if you dont soak the whole stock you end up with a tide mark.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I have had reasonable results soaking stocks in bleach then using just as much stain as is needed to darken the stock and disguise the stains prior to oiling.

but it is so labour intensive I just tend to get a new stock these days or use the excuse that the stain 'adds character '
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

stains in wood

Hi, I also have used bleach to some good effect , also paint thinners. but I have found most effective - steam - I have a wallpaper steaming thingy ! , I hang the stock inside a large plastic bag & seal it up to the steam making m/c & let it go for a few hours, it will also raise any dent's / ding's at the same time.. Beware you must let the wood dry out slowly as it may warp. hope this helps .kind regards al.

Some good suggestions, and found the Midway video where he soaked the stock to bring out the oil. I think a good rub down with acetone to start, concentrating on the relatively small visible area that's stained. I'm concerned if I submerged the whole stock theres possibly some adhesive holding the forend to the butt (airsporter mk2) which might be weakened if fully submerged and soaked for any length of time. Its clearly constructed of two pieces of wood which have been spliced together. Theres also so many years of oil, grease, muck on the inletting I'd be concerned that soaking would lift all that and end up contaminating more of the external surfaces.