Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikko mountmaster 3-9x40 mount issue?

Nikko mountmaster 3-9x40 mount issue?

I've just picked up a new mountmaster 3-9x40ao to stick on my 99s and noticed straight away the mounts are two low by around 2mm so the end bell fouls on the receiver.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've had a few of these in years gone by and never had a problem before.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    I've just picked up a new mountmaster 3-9x40ao to stick on my 99s and noticed straight away the mounts are two low by around 2mm so the end bell fouls on the receiver.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've had a few of these in years gone by and never had a problem before.
    Not being funny but is this with the lens caps taken off? I've had a few of these over the years and like you never had any issues. They are a reasonable scope for the money.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I suppose you had to ask but yes I mean I would have to be fairly dense to not realise that lol, my bud said he reckons they fitted mounts off the non ao model on accident which makes sense to me.

Seems I've just been unlucky.

This makes them quite clearly "Not Fit For Purpose" under the Consumer Rights Act. You're entitled to a full refund, or the seller should send you a set of appropriate mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    This makes them quite clearly "Not Fit For Purpose" under the Consumer Rights Act. You're entitled to a full refund, or the seller should send you a set of appropriate mounts.
    To be fair to the seller, he would be unlikely to open every scope/box that he sends out, he would naturally expect that the correct mounts were fitted. Chances are that the scope came from JSR and knowing them from past experience they would simply send out a new set of NS mediums without the faf of a full return/exchange.

OTOH, bin the freebies and get a set of Sportsmatch and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    OTOH, bin the freebies and get a set of Sportsmatch and be done.
    That is a sensible choice. The ones that come with it are probably worth three quid if you're lucky.

No it doesn't. What it means is that the buyer potentially didn't check that the goods he purchased fitted the rifle he wanted to put the scope on. This means it is potentially the buyers fault not the sellers so not fit for purpose doesn't come into it. So potentially he isn't due a refund automatically, He can ask nicely if he sends it back at his expense or just takes it back if the retailer will exchange for the correct size as required. If the purchaser has made the mistake then the seller doesn't have to do a refund. Mountmasters come fitted with mounts from factory and fit most rifles out of the box with a square topped action, however they dont always fit springers due to the fact they are a rounded action and the ao ring fouls the top of the action. The non ao's normally fit rounded actions ok.

The mounts use to be the same size as SM so they should be like the SM medium in height .

The mounts are average & work ok on PCP I don’t use them on springers myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    Mountmasters come fitted with mounts from factory and fit most rifles out of the box with a square topped action, however they dont always fit springers due to the fact they are a rounded action and the ao ring fouls the top of the action.
    Does it say on the box "Not designed to fit springers with round top actions?" Well if it doesn't, and they came as a package, they're NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post

I would say that they have changed the mounts on the new mountmaster 3-9x40ao because I had one on my TX for years with no problems, but I am even more satisfied now with a one piece mount

Does it say on the box "Not designed to fit springers with round top actions?" Well if it doesn't, and they came as a package, they're NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!
    Seriously. Does a ford fiesta say it is fit for formula one races on it no it doesnt yet both are still cars with 4 wheels. All goods would have a list on them saying not fit for purpose in case a customer wants to use it for a particular reason it may or may not be suitable for. Use some common sense at least. Many scopes arent suitable for fitting on many rifles. The customer has to do their homework, it is not the job of either the seller or the manufacturer to guess which rifle a particular scope will fit on or wont fit on if it was they would list every single rifle they would fit. I have fitted literally thousands of scopes over the years for customers. I normally ask them to bring their rifles in so that we can ensure they fit on the rifle allowing for eye relief and height etc. You really need to know what fit for purpose means not just grab it out of thin air. Oh and where did i say it doesn't fit on springers, this is what i actually said "Mountmasters come fitted with mounts from factory and fit most rifles out of the box with a square topped action, however they dont always fit springers due to the fact they are a rounded action and the ao ring fouls the top of the action. The non ao's normally fit rounded actions ok. If you need help in understanding this particular sentence in respect to my previous points then i am sorry.

Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.
    Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
    As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

The question is did the purchaser tell the retailer he specifically wanted them to fit that rifle and did the retailer confirm the fact they would or even if he could confirm they would fit. As he didn't say so then just stating send them back unfit for purpose was a pointless and potentially incorrect response.

Mounts from mine would fit snug on a CP2, they do now, that's what me dremel is for lol

Awkward one, Matty. However, as suggested, certainly worth having a word with the retailer.

As Portzy suggests though, I'd be tempted to go down the Sportsmatch route if possible. If that same retailer you bought the scope from also deals with Sportsmatch, I wonder if a compromise solution could be arrived at?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    lots of good points, but it's really simple.

Ring the retailer, exaplin the problem, ask them if they can swap the mounts, or if it's normal. Stating "not fit for purpose" is indeed a completely OTT reaction.

If you need to get some new mounts, gets some SM, as they will be better, and ideally go one peice on a springer.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    No it doesn't. What it means is that the buyer potentially didn't check that the goods he purchased fitted the rifle he wanted to put the scope on. This means it is potentially the buyers fault not the sellers so not fit for purpose doesn't come into it. So potentially he isn't due a refund automatically, He can ask nicely if he sends it back at his expense or just takes it back if the retailer will exchange for the correct size as required. If the purchaser has made the mistake then the seller doesn't have to do a refund. Mountmasters come fitted with mounts from factory and fit most rifles out of the box with a square topped action, however they dont always fit springers due to the fact they are a rounded action and the ao ring fouls the top of the action. The non ao's normally fit rounded actions ok.

Think you will find it wasn't my fault at all, I've had a few of these and never a issue which the shop acknowledged and said bring it in, like I thought the mounts were 1.5mm lower than all other medium mounts in the shop and it left us all scratching our heads

Anyway they just swapped mounts and all is well.