Thread: Rare LD MA64 10m double stroke pnumatic rifle sold on egun

Rare LD MA64 10m double stroke pnumatic rifle sold on egun

Hi All,
    A very interesting air rifle sold on egun the other day, I'd researched it for a couple of weeks and could only find three mentions of it, all on German forums.

I pushed the boat out for a last second max bid of 780 euros, only to be outbid by the only other person bidding on it, and they won it for 785. Bit gutted but fair enough.

Thought I'd share what I found out as it may be of interest.

So at first glance it just looks like a plain break barrel springer, but as I understand it this rifle is a double stroke pneumatic break barrel 10m target rifle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

When you break the barrel the downward stroke compresses a chamber of air, then the upward stroke of returning the barrel compresses the air further giving you enough power for 10m target shooting, presumably around 5 ftlbs.
    I also read that it was possible to cock the rifle repeatedly and build up more power, not that you'd want to for 10m paper punching.

Mention of a possible Diana copyright infringement makes me think it may even have been a dual piston recoiless springer, but the air from both pistons being utilised.

'The LD MA64 was designed in 1964 and built in series at the toolmaking company Leo Dürr in Großrinderfeld near Tauberbischofsheim and sold at Frankonia in neighboring Würzburg

Leo Dürr still exists, but is now called Dürr Kunststofftechnik, but no longer builds air rifles.'

I've no idea how many were made, but they were put into small scale production.

There are no references in any of the usual airgun books, apparently it was advertised in the Frankonia 1966-67 catalogue.

I've never heard of a break barrel pnumatic, and at 1964, this predates the Walther LGR by about a decade.

I think the German collectors know about this rifle but I'd never heard of it before.
    Have any of you guys heard of this rifle? If anyone has one I'd love to hear more about it.

Cheers,
    Matt

Wow. That’s a new one on me. Sorry I can’t add any knowledge to the thread, but I’d love to hear more from anyone who has any info.

Thanks for sharing.
    I have never heard of or seen one like that.
    Has a very minimalistic look about it. Reminds me of the Anschutz 220. Love the way the barrel block blends with the compression cylinder. I bet it has a few nice bits under its ordinary looks.

Wow - 'everyday is a school day' That's a new one on me and I expect most other collectors. Would be fascinating to see how it compared to other pneumatic 10m rifles of the time. Shame to miss it, better luck next time.

Thanks for replies.
    Seems as rare as I thought then.

Obscurity doesn’t always equate to value though, so doubt I’d have been happy bidding much higher than I did... it’s a tricky one to judge.

I’ll keep an eye out for another one.... you never know.

Cheers,
    Matt

Rarity certainly adds a bit of spice in the quest to find one.
    I would be more intrigued by its mechanical attributes to launch a pellet as accurately as possible. I just noticed it has what looks like a Walther lgv type barrel lock. They are the best barrel locks for break barrel airguns imo. So effortless to break open yet providing a solid lockup when closed.
    Good luck in your quest.🙂