Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R10 super carbine or an hw110 ?

R10 super carbine or an hw110 ?

Hi all

Been without an air rifle for a while now and looking to purchase my first pcp.

Been through the traditional ‘do I go budget or best’ thoughts and looked at a few in the local dealers and now reckon I’m down to a BSA R10 SE super carbine and the HW110 both shouldered really well .
    I like the option of the additional shot count of the BSA for those days i fancy target shooting but the HW110 seems to be more well liked.

Both are about the same price (ish) if I go new.

Used, not many of either around.

I would be interested to know the thoughts of others.

Cheers
    Last edited by Nathan365; 20-09-2020 at 09:37 PM.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    I have a 110 .22 with a red dot on board for close range ratting, which it is perfect for, I also have an HW100 which is scoped up, both are extremely accurate, but the 100 is much more refined. I would consider spending the extra wonga on a 100.
    Can’t comment on the BSA as I’ve never shot one.
    Pete.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Quote Originally Posted by cptman View Post
    I have a 110 .22 with a red dot on board for close range ratting, which it is perfect for, I also have an HW100 which is scoped up, both are extremely accurate, but the 100 is much more refined. I would consider spending the extra wonga on a 100.
    Can’t comment on the BSA as I’ve never shot one.
    Pete.
    Cheers Pete

I’ve not tried the 100 don’t know why to be honest, but will before I decide .
    Thanks

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    i was in the exact same predicament two weeks ago, i have owned both before and had to decide between them again, and as much as i love the r10's looks i went with the hw100.
    my heart said r10 but my head said hw100, this is the first time my head has ever won lol. the hw is clinically accurate and reliable, when the r10 works it is a good gun, but there are to many complaints about reliability for me and i prefer the simplicity of the hw mags

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    i was in the exact same predicament two weeks ago, i have owned both before and had to decide between them again, and as much as i love the r10's looks i went with the hw100.
    my heart said r10 but my head said hw100, this is the first time my head has ever won lol. the hw is clinically accurate and reliable, when the r10 works it is a good gun, but there are to many complaints about reliability for me and i prefer the simplicity of the hw mags
    Cheers.

2 for the 100 now. Any reason to not go for the 110 ?

Agreed on above, forget the Hw110 and get a HW100. The 100 is far better in every way.
    Last edited by 247sniper; 21-09-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan365 View Post
    Cheers.

Because it’s made from plastic, they leak and they are just crap tbh. Not a patch on the 100

Thanks for your comments . Looks like the 100 is worth a look at.

Cheers

My preference would be a Hw100. A better gun than the r-10 in every way apart from looks.
    If you do go for the r-10, buy a used one that's been sorted because buying a new one is a BIG gamble with magazine and regulator issues. I speak from experience.

I love my HW100KT. The only thing I'd change is calibre .22>.177. I had an old Super 10 and that had reg and mag issues, so I guess that's a BSA thing. I was wondering if I should overcome my dislike of plastic and you guys have convinced me that my gut feeling was right. So, looking for a HW100 in .177.

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    I bought an HW100 recently. I have to say it's easily the best air rifle I own or have shot. It's a lovely quality thing, I can't see me ever getting rid of it.
    Mark

I have a hW100 for bunny bashing, i have to say it is easily the most pointable Airgun I have ever owned, not the lightest, not the best to carry around all day, but the most pointable. Also it is solidly made and far better than the hw110 piece of plastic.

Forgot to mention that I also have an r10 mk2 which has its followers but I bought it because it is camouflaged and looks fun, which is what my son is looking for in an Airgun. It’s for his birthday.

I hold an alternative view.

While I can’t argue about the excellent fit, finish and feel of the HW100, the ergonomics of the HW100 thumbhole stock didn’t work for me. You will also hear about a batch of defective barrels, while my barrel was ok, there was a problem of poor grouping. It went back to Hull Cartridge and came back much better - the barrel had the same number stamped on it, but the silencer had been changed - no explanation came back with the rifle though.

Whereas the HW110 I have was after the early production power problems. It has been 100% reliable and, in my hands, tighter grouping than the HW100. As for the disparaging “plastic” comments, I can understand that, as I too have an irrational prejudice against plastic stocks. Talking of which, I personally favour the black finished wooden stock on the HW110.

The original question HW110 or BSA R10 - I’ve not lived with the R10, so not qualified to comment. But, why not consider an Air Arms, or my personal favourite a Daystate MK4is - and don’t believe all the Luddite scaremongering about “electronic guns”.

Of the 2, I would fall into the HW camp.

Arguments between a 110 and a 100.....the 100 is worth the extra imho.

Sell the steel cylinder and buy alloy though would be my first suggestion.

I like the R10. Its a nice handling rifle. Looks dont mean anything to me really... its about what it needs to do and how it does it.

The Mk1 R10's were shocking and had to be tuned by Bowkett to get them to shoot.

The Mk2 has a better rep but I would probably buy 2nd hand on a sorted one as another has mentioned already.

But the 100 .... for all its faults.... is a very hard rifle to beat and has been there for a long time with little modifucation from day 1.

That says a lot.

Its a shame Weirauch are not a little more proactive but then you have other manufacturers that pump out different models like a greenfly giving birth....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill