Thread: Webley Mk2 Service Military Claims.

Webley Mk2 Service Military Claims.

I recently came across a Webley Hawk instruction sheet dating I guess from the early 70s which included some history and pictures of earlier Webley products.
    I was particularly amused by the suggestion that we check our garden sheds for Mk1 air rifles as they can now fetch over £100 and the unsubstantiated claims that the Mk2 Service saw significant military service.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 21-09-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Re. the Mk2 Service there are two ways to see this cobblers: first is that some yoof in the advertising dept. perpetuated the military connection idea because it was a good yarn, and nobody conradicted him, so it went through to publication.

Or it was a cynical reworking of history by someone who knew perfectly well that the myth was already entrenched out there, so it made good copy whatever the truth....

It "became known" as the service rifle because that's what was stamped on the cylinder.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Re. the Mk2 Service there are two ways to see this cobblers: first is that some yoof in the advertising dept. perpetuated the military connection idea because it was a good yarn, and nobody conradicted him, so it went through to publication.

Or it was a cynical reworking of history by someone who knew perfectly well that the myth was already entrenched out there, so it made good copy whatever the truth....

It "became known" as the service rifle because that's what was stamped on the cylinder.
    I suspect the former Danny as the introduction dates leave much to be desired too!

John