Thread: Air Arms Combat, Love it !

Air Arms Combat, Love it !

OK the Combat is now in my hands
    Got to say I have a lot of guns but this was THE ONE that I used to dream of as a kid (now 53), well I got it, and I love it !!
    Great condition but twangy action. Stripped and cleaned and polished inside, back together and "less" twangy and its so much fun !

A few questions:
    Silencer options?
    any other Twang reducing tips on these? (polished spring ends, slip washer at piston end, good lube all done)

If you do not have one of these in your collection...get one

Air Arms Combat....is this the short barrelled version of the side lever range with a synthetic material (ABS?) stock? If so try filling it with foam or something like that. Might help deaden some of the unwanted reverberation.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    fit a new spring, as the std ones are loose on the guide... and one with a little less power - you are using open sights at 20-30 yards, so 9-10 FP is plenty and will also calm it down a bit - including the muzzle bark..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yes have already filled the stock Spring loose on guide was something I did notice !!, may try sleeving the guide a bit, this is the air arms later one has the piston sleeve and pad factory fitted. Power wise 10fpe is fine for me on this gun, (but I have a scope to go with it )
    Yep a guide sleeve I think !!
    And yes it does indeed bark !!

Been getting a few of these Air Arms types through my hands. At first I did not like them due to the plastic stock, and they all were just a variation of the basic theme, with cosmetic changes. Became impressed with the legal power output and accuracy attainable with them. I think the AR7 has the same muzzle decoration as the Combat ? Cured the twang quite well with red sticky grease on springs. The only thing I really don't like is the weird plastic back sight of the Parabellum, one of which I have spare.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

I have one that I bought from this very forum, It came with the innards in a bag!, The power supplier was a Theoben gasram that I had to fit using a 4' sash clamp!

The bag of bits, Had to find a few bits like trigger adjusting screw and the pin that it rides in but it's a shooter now!!

They're nice old things if a bit (Lot!) twangy!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

John mate, that scope does not suit the rifle !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

What grease would you guys suggest for the piston oring on these? I am not used to the single oring set up !!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsquad View Post
    What grease would you guys suggest for the piston oring on these? I am not used to the single oring set up !!
    silicone is fine, or a moly silicone blend. just keep it on the o-ring.

Turn the spring guide down and sleeve it rather than remove it altogether, go for a larger spring as Jon said so it is snug in the plastic piston liner and ensure that you get the correct metric O ring for optimum performance, I also fit a slightly larger ratchet dampening oring to reduce the cocking rattle. Most of mine have very little preload when reassembled and I find this works best. The early SA Jackals were coming out of the factory running well over power at one point.

The cocking slot and cocking lever can usually use a radius and polish.

This is exactly the same action as went in the Khamsin and SE90 so it is perfectly capable of full power smooth performance, while the 'flash suppressor' is iconic, a silencer transforms the performance.

Pellet choice is important, they usually do well on superdomes - these also feed nicely.

HTH
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Always wanted one.
    Bought one a few years back.
    shot it once.
    I can still hear it twang now.
    Hated it
    Sold it.....
    Wanted another.this time I got a belter from a friend who has around 50 of them.
    This one was fitted with a ram so no twang and no ECHO echo (....echo)
    Silenced, auto load,sa80 sling, metal mag,m16 grab rail rear sight......lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Turn the spring guide down and sleeve it rather than remove it altogether, go for a larger spring as Jon said so it is snug in the plastic piston liner and ensure that you get the correct metric O ring for optimum performance, I also fit a slightly larger ratchet dampening oring to reduce the cocking rattle. Most of mine have very little preload when reassembled and I find this works best. The early SA Jackals were coming out of the factory running well over power at one point.

The cocking slot and cocking lever can usually use a radius and polish.

This is exactly the same action as went in the Khamsin and SE90 so it is perfectly capable of full power smooth performance, while the 'flash suppressor' is iconic, a silencer transforms the performance.

Pellet choice is important, they usually do well on superdomes - these also feed nicely.

HTH
    That all helps a lot ! Did you buy a silencer adapter? or have to make a custom one? I would like to fit my silencers on it!
    But the 'flash suppressor' does look soooo cool LOL !

On the tech side it "seemed" at one point to be doing 10fpe, but the odd shot (say 1 in 5) at 7fpe? piston washer is original and even though not had much firing at all I have ordered new ones from here : http://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co....-piston-seals/

Thanks for the help !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    John mate, that scope does not suit the rifle !

Yep, Totally agree- I took it off, I think I sold it through freeads years ago (The big daft scope that is!)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/