Thread: Damping stock bolts for springers?

Damping stock bolts for springers?

Ok, maybe another daft idea and I really do not know if it has any merit, but:
    Having recently experienced the effect of slightly loose forend stock bolts on a springer I have begun to ponder if anyone has ever tried a form of 'dampa mount' for stock bolts?
    Custom seems to be to have stock bolts tight i.e. clamping woodwork tightly against the action. Any resonance / movement from the 'recoil cycle' is immediately passed to the stock and hence to the shooter's grip (yes I do know about a consistent, relaxed hold for springers but even so there is an influence from the grip, as witnessed by poi changes with grip position).
    So what would be the effect of having some form of dampa-mount to mount the action to the stock? Could this be done by e.g. sandwiching a rubber buffer between two screw cups? Would the rifle become less hold sensitive? Is this what Gamo are doing? I do not know because I have not seen their recoil reduction system, but have seen and shot dampa-mounts for scopes and the BSA dampa-mount system on early Mercury rifles.
    I am aware of 'bedding' stocks in the action but think this is different.
    Does the Gamo system work? Does it produce a less hold sensitive rifle?
    Just daft thoughts...

Cheers, Phil

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Interesting Phil, if you see the rifle and stock, solid as one unit,then the recoil is very similiar to that in a sledge type rifle slr?.at hold. Assuming the operator has the ability to maintain hold consistantly, seeing the shooters hold as stock, and rifle/stock combo as sledge moving through hold.It is what the springer crowd did to a proficient degree in the 80's,which might have been lost these days!! .
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Google the Hatsan SAS Shock Absorbing System

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Google the Hatsan SAS Shock Absorbing System
    Thank you for that ... interesting that it uses a spring steel bit to join stock to action. This seems to absorb recoil and offer protection to the scope but does it isolate the stock from the vibrations set up by the action ... not sure.

As for the TX SR system ... would that / does that do a similar job? Not sure. It certainly allows the action to jolt a bit without seemingly affecting the shooter. Might try a SR with slightly loose stock bolts ......
    More thought needed.
    Cheers, Phil

was there not some one making a system like this and had shown it on here about a year ago?