Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting clothing

The only OG's we had in my time were the lightweights
    "Denims" are the service overalls.

Service uniform quality started going downhill with soldier 95, the current issue is so poor, if you hold it up to a window you can see daylight through it.
    Look for kit labeled as "temperate climate" it's a bit thicker & harder wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Service uniform quality started going downhill with soldier 95, the current issue is so poor, if you hold it up to a window you can see daylight through it.
    Look for kit labeled as "temperate climate" it's a bit thicker & harder wearing.
    These were issued trousers and thicker fabric than the Lightweights less pockets too if I remember right it was the the late 80s early 90s I got them . I used them for fishing .

i also got a mileta OG waterproof double layer Pvc jacket . I believe they were called NI jackets . I still have that jacket . a bit rustly but ok for on the motorbike years ago,

Same as this one https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...land-276846081

I also had the DPM waterproofs (PVC ) ones . full suit. but theu were binned many years ago.

I still have a brand new sleeping bag I got in 1990 or so too, It was never used and came from a friends uncle who " swapped " it for the old used one that I had. used it a few times but not since the 90s.

Polywarm sleeping bag . combat and general service 1986. on the label and on the outer cover . we got ponchos too that buttoned onto the sleeping bag
    Last edited by bighit; 23-09-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Actually British Army Combats went down hill once the 68 Pattern was changed to something lighter eight in about 1985. soldier '95 was the first stuff actually quite good as it almost matched the "jungles" we had wanted when we had '68 pattern.

For surplus then the '68 pattern is fantastic in many ways, if a bit heavy. Extremely heavy when wet, but when not lovely. The cut is pretty old fashioned but its comfortable and quiet.
    The real '95 DPM is good, but anything earlier from the mid 1980's really poor.
    Then there was Desert stuff. Only good if you are standing in a corn field, or dried poppy field.
    The last batch of DPM got really dark and quality went down hill.
    The new camo MTP in '95 cut was quite good.
    The new designs I don't know as I've been "out" a long time, but someone who wears it for real could chip in here. The cloth seems hard wearing enough.

I still use my old DPM Arctic Trousers and some SAS windproof smocks as they are just comfortable. I even have a Ventile DPM smock. Heck, I even have a cotton MTP arctic trousers and SAS smock. Worn with a Flatcap, and rarely as a suit. I try not to do Airsoft Ninja too often.
    Full sets of "heavy" Goretex in DPM and MTP.
    Probably all in cost less than one top end Swedish waterproof Jacket.

I have other kit too. Tweeds anyone? Its the right kit for he job/conditions/traditions.

In truth trouser fit I think is the important bit. I don't want a crutch down by the knee, but then I don't want ski pants either.
    Last edited by Muskett; 24-09-2020 at 12:28 AM.

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...

Military 1st

https://www.military1st.co.uk/ are a site I've had good experiences with. Free delivery and returns too.

have a ride to Belmont off a690...turn left at lights at garage go along 300 yds and on corner on the left theres a surplus shop....if you cant find anything in there time to spend some money

Cheers lads,we going decathlon shop next week,if nowt i fancy we av ride out to the 1 off a690 belmont see what they got.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Actually British Army Combats went down hill once the 68 Pattern was changed to something lighter eight in about 1985. soldier '95 was the first stuff actually quite good as it almost matched the "jungles" we had wanted when we had '68 pattern.
    My old kit might be 68 pattern then, is that when both jackets & trousers were lined in OG cotton ?

iirc soldier 95 was when they stopped putting the "poachers pocket" in the back of the jackets & the buttons changed from 4 holes to 2 slots held on with 5mm webbing.

angrybear. Yes, yours was the older 68 pattern. What I did my recruits course in. The rest is a little more complex a history.
    In the late 80's it all went to pot with at least three attempts at getting it cheap. It looked it, fell apart, and was generally hated by everyone. In the 1990's they started getting something half decent. Combat '95 was a bit like the Jungles you might have had, just with slotta buttons and another shade of DPM. I quite liked my 1995 uniform. I still bought some of my own kit or got some through Trials connections.

Anyone here have a view from wearing the new MTP kit? It seems to work well enough in rough landscape and in the woods, but less so on green farmland.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    angrybear. Yes, yours was the older 68 pattern. What I did my recruits course in. The rest is a little more complex a history.
    In the late 80's it all went to pot with at least three attempts at getting it cheap. It looked it, fell apart, and was generally hated by everyone. In the 1990's they started getting something half decent. Combat '95 was a bit like the Jungles you might have had, just with slotta buttons and another shade of DPM. I quite liked my 1995 uniform. I still bought some of my own kit or got some through Trials connections.

Anyone here have a view from wearing the new MTP kit? It seems to work well enough in rough landscape and in the woods, but less so on green farmland.

I have the windproof MTP smock that I got new off a member on here .

Fleece lined side pockets behind the front lower cargo style pockets .

Mesh lined on the body but the velcro rips it to bits if it catches it (velcro from the zip storm flap).

The slit chest pockets by the zip go into the mesh lining . they cover most of the body on each side at the front above the drawstring inside .

Lower cargo pockets ,chest cargo pockets, a pocket on each shoulder and the fleece side pockets.

The hood rolls down as a collar and it is huge like the Falklands jacket one was .

Velcro closed cuffs .

Ventilation zips under the armpits .

All buttons under the pocket flaps and held on with webbing.

Made in China The sticker on the bag the jacket came in said so.

Fairly good in the wind and water resistant to a point then it wets out .They have a DWR coating so tumble drying will revive it a little

https://1157store.co.uk/product/...-smock-jacket/

Shirts .
    Some of the shirts have pockets on the lower arm for pads to slip in .

one pocket secured by Velcro on the chest and two on the arms/shoulder .
    Not a soft feel fabric but seems durable

I gave mine to my mate due to no pockets other than the chest one

Trousers.

Only had one pair but they felt too fragile and gave them to my brother

I bought 2 pairs of MTP trousers, one pair fell victim to abandoned barbed wire (as did my leg )
    the zip on the other pair fell apart within a month, shame as they were very comfortable, but as BH says a bit fragile.

Some good civi kit to look for is Percussion, I think it's French but don't hold that against it.

Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34