Thread: MK1 Webley and Scott Air Rifle

Question MK1 Webley and Scott Air Rifle

Hi,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I purchased an old house about 4 years ago that was in a very sorry state and have been renovating it.
    We had to clear the loft and garage and most of the rooms before we could even move in.
    I found in the garage a rather sad looking air rifle that had been hidden in a corner and forgotten.

This is a .177 Webley and Scott mk1 air rifle number 967.

I have stripped the rifle down and started restoration on it and will sell it once complete.

The only problem with it is the main spring which is broken into 2 pieces and the linkage, this requires new link pins/rivets.

Can anyone advise on where I can source a replacement parts .

I will add photos once I have figured out how to do that ��

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190322906@N03/?

Kind regards

Andy
    Last edited by TR6 Kid; 23-09-2020 at 09:37 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Andy, what a lucky find, although it has a lot of pitting on the rifle it's self. the stock looks in good condition. and these are very collectable. you can get spares from John Knibbs or Chambers web site.

Very lucky indeed, I hope you get it up and running again soon it looks like a little cracker

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    wow, doesn't look too bad at all.. should be easy enough to complete. Please don't be tempted to do any restoration on it, other than replacing the broken parts.

Those pellets will be worth good money too..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

[QUOTE=Shed tuner;7929814]wow, doesn't look too bad at all.. should be easy enough to complete. Please don't be tempted to do any restoration on it, other than replacing the broken parts.

Those pellets will be worth good money too..[/QUOTE

Hi Andy,

I agree with Shed turner that you should only replace the broken parts keeping the original parts with the air rifle and avoid anything other than light restoration as overdoing it will only result in a decrease in its financial value.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Please don't be tempted to do any restoration on it, other than replacing the broken parts.
    Totally agree....looks in nice original condition.

What a lovely find!

Matt

As others have said, a very nice find and don't over restore it. I hope you are able to source the relevant spare parts, but if you are unable to, I have a few original drawings of some components should you need to get them made.
    Meanwhile, below is the parts list from the Mk.1 rifle handbook:

Welcome to the forum Andy.

What a cracking find. There were around 1500 of these rifles made during the latter 1920s and they are quite desirable today.

There is an excellent section on them in Chris Thrale's book Webley Air Rifles and Chris also lists the serial numbers of all known examples. Yours is not among them and is therefore a 'fresh' example in collecting circles.

Enjoy - these are lovely little rifles. I would rectify any mechanical deficiencies sympathetically and not touch the external finish beyond a good oiling or waxing as refinishing would devalue such a nice historical item.

John

Dear All,

Thankyou for all of your replies and advice, all very helpful and appreciated.

It was quite an interesting find in the house along with with the live WW2 mortar (another story).

It is my intention to only restore the air rifle to working condition and clean it.
    I prefer you restored items to show some age it makes them easier to use without the worry of making a blemish and retains some history.

I have now, thanks to your help been able to source the broken parts (Thanks Mikey2 & Troubledshooter).

I will update the thread once work is completed and have decided what to do with it, part of me wants to keep it but also I have to find a classic car rebuild.

Thanks again

Andy

Andy more pics of this model here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ifle/#post-257
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Shame the safety seems to be missing? these are unique to the MK1 rifle and although the pistol ones look the same, they are not usable on the rifle.
    Good luck with the sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Shame the safety seems to be missing? these are unique to the MK1 rifle and although the pistol ones look the same, they are not usable on the rifle.
    Good luck with the sale...
    Hi Peter,

The rifle is complete, I have the safety ‘safe’ in a safe place.

Cheers

Andy