Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My interest/thoughts on replica air pistols

I agree with Harvey.
    He did add a smiley face to soften the blow!

I have many co2 pistols and they are fun and a lot easier to own than real steel.

But as Americans say there ain't no substitute for cubic inches.

Gotta admit they're more than mere playthings, but class as true air weapons.
    This ain't rock 'n' roll- this is GENOCIDE!

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    ... err... NO!

They are not weapons. They need to be treated with respect but they are not weapons.

A .30cal PCP FAC Air rifle is a weapon.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    ... err... NO!

They are not weapons. They need to be treated with respect but they are not weapons.

A hammer is not a weapon, but plenty of people get killed by them. Hit someone hard enough with a replica and it has the potential to kill.

Replicas have a following and if it doesn't float your boat, don't bother with them. I do think from many posts on replicas that a few of the owners are Walts who would be better posting on the Underage Boys Club site but that's just my opinion FWIW

Me , I'll shoot anything I can get my hands on, and enjoy them all.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have a few CO2 replicas. Well, more than a few if I'm honest! I also have the real steel versions of some of them and I enjoy shooting them all. The CO2 are fun for the garden and the powder burners are fun at the range.
    You would be surprised just how realistic some reps are though...

Glock 1

Glock 2

Luger P08 1

Luger P08 2
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    ... err... NO!

Not quite true I’m afraid. Up here north of the Border they are considered as being weapons and one requires an Air Weapon Certificate issued by Police Scotland to buy, own and shoot one. As far as I am aware and although you do not require any license in England they are still listed as weapons.
    David.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    ...they are still listed as weapons.
    Can't argue with that.

And on looking up the defintion of weapon in the OED I haven't got a leg to stand on in saying air pistols are not weapons, contrary to what I said before!

I just don't like to see the use of that word in the marketing of these products. Not that the person who got me going on this rant was trying to market anything.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    "If you believe that any of the current replica BB guns are anything beyond playthings you're sadly deluded …"

The law may be an ass, but the law defines airguns as firearms, not playthings.

As an example of how your logic could be applied, what about clay pigeon shooting? it's an activity where people use a firearm to shoot at targets.

If using a co2 replica is also an activity where people use a firearm to shoot at targets, surely your definition must make shotguns mere playthings...
    How did you arrive at this conclusion???

A shotgun is designed as an offensive killing weapon whether its aimed at a person or a pheasant - just because you chose to aim it at a clay pigeon does nothing to reduce its lethality or true purpose.

A BB gun is designed as a recreational amusement, it's not a tool nor a weapon designed for any form of lethality.
    This does not mean I don't recognise that in the wrong hands it is capable of causing a severe injury or even a potential death in extreme cases...but then again so is a rubber inner tube at the beach!

People may object to term 'plaything' (and in truth I was being a little controversial) - but it is it's real nature.
    The law may define it as a weapon, but surely we can agree it has not been designed as such.

Controversial can push some people's buttons, and I can be guilty of over reacting.
    I was extrapolating the concept of the term 'plaything' with an extreme example of clay-pigeon shooting.

I will wind my neck in...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Controversial can push some people's buttons, and I can be guilty of over reacting.
    I was extrapolating the concept of the term 'plaything' with an extreme example of clay-pigeon shooting.

I will wind my neck in...
    No need , happy to banter - I was trying to keep it light while still fighting my corner .

Bants is good, innit...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

At airgun clubs they refer to air pistols as weapons. At the Southend air pistol club I used to belong to, they used to tell us to 'bench your weapons' ie put them down, if anyone was in the line of fire.
    This ain't rock 'n' roll- this is GENOCIDE!

That's because they are used to dealing with bang sticks
    Airguns are pretty useless weapons in the formats we have
    By any definition