Thread: The Webley Mercury pistol project: Part 3, and the last!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    What pellet tin would you suggest as being more appropriate ?
    Given the time period at which the pistol was developed and the fact that the rectangular pellet tins were obsolete almost 15 years before, would a more contemporary tin such as the round, green , black and white tin not be more appropriate for the period?

I agree with cringe in that the pellet tin looks incongruous when cased with the pistol.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 23-09-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Got the .177 colour wrong

Fantastic to see. You are truly a talented man.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Given the time period at which the pistol was developed and the fact that the rectangular pellet tins were obsolete almost 15 years before, would a more contemporary tin such as the round, green , black and white tin not be more appropriate for the period?

I agree with cringe in that the pellet tin looks incongruous when cased with the pistol.
    I quite agree that the rectangular green pellet tin is not true to the time period of the 1980 "Mercury" and will offend the purist Webley collector. In my defence, I can only say that I did not look at my project pistol as part of my Webley collection, and saw it as just another project to investigate obsolete British air pistol mechanisms. After all, my pistol differs from the originals in many ways, both from a materials point of view and how it is constructed. The case and fittings are for safe storage and just a bit of window dressing, and to me the rectangular tin is evocative of the late 1960's-1970 period when the design was first proposed, and I just like the look of the rectangular tin more than the round. So apologies, but I will be keeping the rectangular tin even though Troubledshooter has kindly offer to supply me with a more period round one.

Cheers
    John

A brilliant piece of engineering/gunsmithing. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post

That's what I was thinking, I have nothing but admiration & respect for ccdjg - self tought skills , patience in researching & building a 'one off' pistol, even the presentation box is fantastic. so sorry for being a bit fussy, I am not a [purist Webley collector & I am not offended] as Webley Wombler says " incongruous" [I like that word] . Hope you continue with future projects . kind regards Al