Thread: The Webley Mercury pistol project: Part 3, and the last!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Also v impressed with your workmanship, in metal & wood, let alone your thoughts and logic in problem solving.
    Sympathetic metal work teacher was lientent to using facilities to make bits for motorcycles and Airguns, These bits got me an apprenticeship with Rolls Royce, withdrawn 2 months before due to start when RR went bust in 1971, still itching to improvise, adapt and remanufacturer after 50 odd yrs in the commercial field.

Quite extraordinary and very impressive.

Trying to get my head round why you can’t de-cock all the way from full.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Quite extraordinary and very impressive.

Trying to get my head round why you can’t de-cock all the way from full.
    Thanks for the kind comment. I also found the de-cocking problem not exactly obvious, which is why I nearly shot myself in the foot! The way to visualise it is like this. With a single-stroke cocking gun, when the gun is cocked and the piston held back by the sear, the barrel/cocking lever unit is free to move backwards and forwards. So you can use the cocking lever to take the weight off the sear while you pull the trigger, and the spring tension can then be slowly released.
    With the double-cocking system, when the gun is cocked to the first level and barrel has been returnd home, the barrel/cocking lever unit is not free to move backwards. The pawl will have already engaged with the second notch in the piston, so any attempt to pull the barrel back just results in further compression of the spring until it is cocked at the higher power level.

I can't think of any simple way of getting round this problem. Anyone got any ideas?