Thread: Lee Loader powder data

Lee Loader powder data

Just deciding whether to buy a second hand lee loader for £25 or a new one for £35, 303 British. Does anyone know if they update the load data to remove older powders from the load data. Don't want to be struggling to find vintage powders or trimming my cordite to length!

Cheers.
    Lee Loo Dallas multipass, MUL-TI-PASS!

I suspect the issue may not be 'older powders' but rather powders that are available in the UK due to the ban of some American powders. Were you planning on using the provided scoop, or weighing powder yourself?

just using the scoop, I don't plan on doing too many. Have just found a picture of the load data and luckily I can use Ram Big Game powder from Kranks at £40 a Kilo rather than Vihtavuori at £86! Will be using a lee loader as it just neck sizes and hopefully I'll get a lot longer life from my cases.

For small quantities - the lee loader is perfect. Once you have some reliable load data for the powder and bullet you are using, perhaps you should find a friend with a balance scale, and weigh it out with the volume of the provided scoop. You can always buy a new scoop of the correct volume if it is too much or too little.

If you know someone with a 3D printer, you can have them print a custom one for you:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3350388

By the way - the Ramshot powder is £42.90 per POUND (454g) - so not much different to a kg of Vhit.
    Last edited by aris; 24-09-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Cheers, didn't spot that!
    Regards,
    Sean.

303 Lee loader

Hi, me & my mate use a 303 Lee loader and we share a 303 Enfield 1945 mk4

We share the cases & find that once we have fire formed our cases in the rifle then we only have to neck size them

The powder that we use is Hodgon Titegroup it's a hot pistol powder

At 25 yards indoors & 50 yards outdoors 4.5 grains titegroup is enough to get a good group as long as we boresnake the barrel after 20 shots

With the Lee loader you can light crimp the neck & bullet which cuts down on fouling in the barrel

We have the Lee loader in other calibres too but I guess if you were loading large quantities then dies & a press would be better

I use a hand primer for all cartridges, at £26 & £3 for a shell holder for each calibre it's worth it as I don't like using a hammer to put the primers in

Also, I'll prime all of the cases and then we share them out between us

Hope this helps

Regards Steve

Interesting,

i bought a hand priming tool also, a lot nicer. Svincett do you use gas checks for 25m?

Gas checks

No mate don't use gas checks, I have mates use them at 100 yards

If I ever shoot at 100 yards , I just treat myself to a box of 20 ppu factory loads £18

I have use of a Lee perfect almost not quite nearly powder measure and some digital scales off if I want to be particularly accurate with my handloads

Quote Originally Posted by Seanus View Post
    just using the scoop, I don't plan on doing too many. Have just found a picture of the load data and luckily I can use Ram Big Game powder from Kranks at £40 a Kilo rather than Vihtavuori at £86! Will be using a lee loader as it just neck sizes and hopefully I'll get a lot longer life from my cases.
    Big game is in 1lb / 450 gram so works out on a par with Viht per kilo
    Thanks for looking