Thread: Best range to set scope

Thumbs up Best range to set scope

I'm shooting walther rotex rm8 varmint, .177. if shooting at ranges from 25-50 yards upto 75. Best for hold over , hold under

Scope zero range

I set my scope for a 25 yard far zero as that seems to be the range that I use most of the time. Near zero is approximately 12/13 yards for my HW95 .22 using H&N FTT 14.66 pellets.

35 yards and work on ypur POI's for short and long
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Learning the holdover and under for your particular scope at the magnification you use will be far more use than the zero but an average between the two will usually work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    I'm shooting walther rotex rm8 varmint, .177. if shooting at ranges from 25-50 yards upto 75. Best for hold over , hold under
    I suggest you invest in a ballistics program/app

Good advice from angrybear about getting a ballistics calculator app.

To give an example my Falcon .177 zeroed at 29 yards, on 7x magnification gives a near zero at 13 yards.

At 20 yards it needs about a quarter mil hold under.

Hold over of half, one, and one and a half mil dots work out at 37, 44, and 51 yards.

Of course scope height, pellet weight, and velocity are the variable factors for your particular set up.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    get chairgun and play...

I always went for 32 yards as it gave a loverly PBR of 13-34 yards where the pellet would land within 1/4" of my aimpoint. Job done.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Unfortunately Hawke stopped supporting Chairgun at the end of 2018, so I'm not sure if it can still be downloaded, it's not on their updated site.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Unfortunately Hawke stopped supporting Chairgun at the end of 2018, so I'm not sure if it can still be downloaded, it's not on their updated site.
    looks to still be here, down the bottom of the page, under legacy version downloads:

https://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun...d-of-life.html

edit.. yup, just installed it on this laptop
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

there we go, 30 seconds with chairgun, 32 yard zero, KZ = 0.5" (so within 1/4" either way):

Lovely little chart there, JB, giving so much very useful information. Just goes to show, a picture is worth a thousand words.......

Sub 12 springer, using "average" weight domed pellets, I usually set them up for 25 yards in .22 and 33-35 yards in .177.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Pellet BC ?

How do you find the BC of a pellet, example, H&N FTT 14.66 gr .22 Caliber Pellets. I don't find any BC info on the tin. Thanks

I found this site with the info. https://nnh-net.com/bc/ Again thanks

I haven't checked recently but H&N show BC figures on their site, I think.
    Also, hardairmagazine have an extensive listing of various pellets in different calibres.

However (and I'm far from an expert), these figures will be approximates. The BC for any different pellet will vary from gun to gun and the only accurate way to get a precise value for your own rifle / pellet combination is to test and measure velocity at different ranges thus enabling calculation of the BC thereafter.

The existing charts do make for interesting comparisons, though, and I applaud the efforts of those who took the time and trouble to put the work in.

P.S....That's a useful listing provided on the link, Travis.
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-09-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    How do you find the BC of a pellet, example, H&N FTT 14.66 gr .22 Caliber Pellets. I don't find any BC info on the tin. Thanks

I found this site with the info. https://nnh-net.com/bc/ Again thanks
    Chairgun includes the BC of the pellets that were available at the time for their list.

i do my 22 at 25 yards