Hi folks,
I know this has probably been asked before ( and I have searched ), but I have a pistol to put up for sale and I was wondering which was the correct service to use for posting, as people often quote Parcel Force 48.
I checked with PF website and yes you can send them but, further down their list it says you can’t send pressure vessels, even empty ones, so by that token you can’t send a precharged air pistol or air rifle, even if the air cylinder is empty

So i decided to check Royal Mail, there, under Guns for sporting use I found this :

Guns for sporting use

International - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air guns and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to applicable export controls on the shipment of firearms.
Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
Guns must not be loaded.
Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
Sender's name and address must be visible on the parcel.
Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.
UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.
Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
Use 1st Class as the minimum service.The senders name and address must be clear on the packaging. Low-powered air weapons which exceed the Royal Mail size restrictions are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide, using express48 via the Post Office.
Guns must not be loaded.
Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.

Interestingly it seems to contradict the PF website by saying they can go by PF48 even with a depressurised integral cylinder ??

Confused - I know I was

So it looks like I’m ok to use Royal Mail

(The pistol in question is a Brocock Atomic, which I’ll put in the for sale section on Friday if anyone’s interested )

Norm