Thread: Posting an air pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I take it your initial search didn't find the sticky post by Garvin at the top of the sales section?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I take it your initial search didn't find the sticky post by Garvin at the top of the sales section?
    That’s odd, I don’t remember seeing that ? I must admit I always think of Parcelforce when I think of sending airguns, and knowing how some of these rules can change I decided in the end to thoroughly scrutinise the RM & PF websites, and go from there.

I was probably worrying unnecessarily but it’s better to be over cautious as there’s often a lot of misinformation about.

Norm

I’m
    Looking into this Myself As I’d Like to Order From Abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomj View Post
    I’m
    Looking into this Myself As I’d Like to Order From Abroad.
    Don't bother researching it if the sender is abroad. They will deal with postage. Just make sure you specify anything you buy is supplied to UK specification. Loads of folk have bought from overseas during lockdown, without any problems.

Do you always have to pay import/excise/customs duty on something from abroad? what happens if you've paid VAT on the item in the other country,thanks.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    Do you always have to pay import/excise/customs duty on something from abroad? what happens if you've paid VAT on the item in the other country,thanks.
    If you have paid VAT in an EU country then (for now at least) there is no further VAT to pay. If other charges are levied, for example import handling charges, then these charges will attract VAT

AFAIK there is no relief for VAT paid in other jurisdictions but there might be some countries with reciprocal arrangements. Most countries allow the export of items free of VAT (incl the UK).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    If it's from the EU at this time it's free,
    from any other country you should have bought it tax free for export & will be charged vat & a RM handling charge because they have the contract to deal with it.

Thanks for taking the to reply, interesting, I'm looking at an auction in Germany.