Thread: Posting an air pistol

Posting an air pistol

Hi folks,
    I know this has probably been asked before ( and I have searched ), but I have a pistol to put up for sale and I was wondering which was the correct service to use for posting, as people often quote Parcel Force 48.
    I checked with PF website and yes you can send them but, further down their list it says you can’t send pressure vessels, even empty ones, so by that token you can’t send a precharged air pistol or air rifle, even if the air cylinder is empty

So i decided to check Royal Mail, there, under Guns for sporting use I found this :

Guns for sporting use

International - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air guns and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to applicable export controls on the shipment of firearms.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Guns must not be loaded.
    Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
    Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
    Sender's name and address must be visible on the parcel.
    Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.
    UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Use 1st Class as the minimum service.The senders name and address must be clear on the packaging. Low-powered air weapons which exceed the Royal Mail size restrictions are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide, using express48 via the Post Office.
    Guns must not be loaded.
    Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
    Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
    Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.

Interestingly it seems to contradict the PF website by saying they can go by PF48 even with a depressurised integral cylinder ??

Confused - I know I was

So it looks like I’m ok to use Royal Mail

(The pistol in question is a Brocock Atomic, which I’ll put in the for sale section on Friday if anyone’s interested )

Norm

I think it's fairly straight forward, Norm.

All guns must be securely packed.

As long as a PCP or CO2 low powered air pistol or rifle has no air/CO2 in the cylinder, it's fine, and CO2 cartridges must not be included with the gun.

First class can be used, but for full insurance cover Royal Mail Special Delivery should be used.

PF48 is an option, and for guns over 60cm in length, it's obligatory, and there is a maximum of £100 insurance/compensation.

Gases, including flammable, non-flammable, toxic and compressed gases (including new, used and empty gas cylinders, ethane, butane, refills for lighters, fire extinguishers and scuba tanks, life jackets, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide canisters including culinary foaming devices & soda stream)

All flammable compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. blowlamps; butane; lighters and refills containing flammable liquid or gas; ethane; gas cylinders for camping stoves; hydrogen; methane and propane.
    All toxic compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. chlorine; fluorine etc.
    All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen.
    Empty cylinders that are sealed so that residual gas under pressure are prohibited, only those cylinders which are open to the atmosphere for inspection are permitted
    *includes new, used and empty gas cylinders

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...onal-customers

If it has a buddy bottle or removeable cylinder and the valve is out and open to the atmosphere then it can be sent .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Gases, including flammable, non-flammable, toxic and compressed gases (including new, used and empty gas cylinders, ethane, butane, refills for lighters, fire extinguishers and scuba tanks, life jackets, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide canisters including culinary foaming devices & soda stream)

All flammable compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. blowlamps; butane; lighters and refills containing flammable liquid or gas; ethane; gas cylinders for camping stoves; hydrogen; methane and propane.
    All toxic compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. chlorine; fluorine etc.
    All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited* e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen.
    Empty cylinders that are sealed so that residual gas under pressure are prohibited, only those cylinders which are open to the atmosphere for inspection are permitted
    *includes new, used and empty gas cylinders

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...onal-customers

If it has a buddy bottle or removeable cylinder and the valve is out and open to the atmosphere then it can be sent .
    But this is under the sporting guns :

Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted.

That should cover a precharged air rifle or in this case air pistol which does not contain any air - I’ve just this morning emptied it, took about 40 shots to totally empty it so that there’s no air out of the barrel when cocked and the trigger pulled

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    But this is under the sporting guns :

Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted.

That should cover a precharged air rifle or in this case air pistol which does not contain any air - I’ve just this morning emptied it, took about 40 shots to totally empty it so that there’s no air out of the barrel when cocked and the trigger pulled

Norm
    Correct but some people will dismantle the guns to get the package size smaller so if the rifle or pistol has a removable cylinder/buddy bottle then they will remove it .

They may not remove the valve and it then goes to Belfast for inspection and if found to be prohibited then it may be destroyed .

People that leave a Co2 full of empty have found this to their cost .

There was a post on another forum where one of the members told another member to send 15 or so co2 cartridges through the post or a courier as no one checks and because other companies post them to you by mail or a courier then its legal for a private seller to do so and he said the going to Belfast thing was a myth despite two others saying their airguns were in Belfast at that present time .

People forget that the public can't post thing like companies can due to trade accounts.

Well that worked well, I posted the air pistol to it’s new owner on Saturday at 12.30pm, using Royal Mail 48 tracked and signed for. It arrived at its destination today, with a very pleased recipient

I bought the postage on the RM online site, with a 3.5kg parcel costing £10.91, which I didn’t think was too bad, especially now considering the service !

I did mention to the girl at our local RM sorting office what was in the parcel and she was fine with it, confirmed it was perfectly ok to send ( I already knew but just to be sure.... )

Sorted

Norm

I take it your initial search didn't find the sticky post by Garvin at the top of the sales section?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I take it your initial search didn't find the sticky post by Garvin at the top of the sales section?
    That’s odd, I don’t remember seeing that ? I must admit I always think of Parcelforce when I think of sending airguns, and knowing how some of these rules can change I decided in the end to thoroughly scrutinise the RM & PF websites, and go from there.

I was probably worrying unnecessarily but it’s better to be over cautious as there’s often a lot of misinformation about.

Norm

I’m
    Looking into this Myself As I’d Like to Order From Abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomj View Post
    I’m
    Looking into this Myself As I’d Like to Order From Abroad.
    Don't bother researching it if the sender is abroad. They will deal with postage. Just make sure you specify anything you buy is supplied to UK specification. Loads of folk have bought from overseas during lockdown, without any problems.

Do you always have to pay import/excise/customs duty on something from abroad? what happens if you've paid VAT on the item in the other country,thanks.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    Do you always have to pay import/excise/customs duty on something from abroad? what happens if you've paid VAT on the item in the other country,thanks.
    If you have paid VAT in an EU country then (for now at least) there is no further VAT to pay. If other charges are levied, for example import handling charges, then these charges will attract VAT

AFAIK there is no relief for VAT paid in other jurisdictions but there might be some countries with reciprocal arrangements. Most countries allow the export of items free of VAT (incl the UK).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    If it's from the EU at this time it's free,
    from any other country you should have bought it tax free for export & will be charged vat & a RM handling charge because they have the contract to deal with it.

Thanks for taking the to reply, interesting, I'm looking at an auction in Germany.