A little while back, thought I'd do some pistol shooting - thanks, by the way to Grr, who gave me some useful advice after my last post on the subject. Set up a 6 yard range, got my eye in with a Crosman 3576, then picked out 4 of my Wobblys, all in .22 apart from the Tempest.

First out of the spare room was a Senior. I couldn't remember why, after buying it, I hardly used it. Then I cocked it - round 2/3's of the way through the cocking stroke it felt rough & 'graunchy' - only did about 10 shots, it honestly felt like something was going to break. I wonder if at some stage the wrong cocking link has been fitted, I recall reading somewhere it was changed on later models? Grouped well enough, given my limited ability.

Next up, an early (4 pin?) Premier. Oh, dear. Felt OK, nice & smooth, but 'Barn Door Syndrome' returned with a vengeance. Could see the pellets in flight, arching up high & to the right. Altered the rear sight, but the best group I could get was circa 2" to the right, & 4" above my point of aim. Not seen anything like it since my 'banana barrelled' Mk 1 back in the day. Looked through the barrel, looks straight enough.

The .177 Tempest was next. Bought it boxed for a low price from the smalls in the back of an airgun mag - the mag was several months old, & I'd rung on the off chance. I'd fired it a few times. put it away. It was a pleasant suprise, when after a play with the sights, it was joint best of the day. Think it'll be coming out its' box more often.

Last, the Hurricane I've owned for 30 odd years. I've got 3 or 4 Hurries, & this is the best of them. It's survived being dropped, girlfriend throwing it away after we'd had a row (gun survived, but the original green baize box was toast) stepson & brother 'borrowing' it for years, my late brothers' ham-fisted attempts at tuning, shroud, sights & trigger guard being repaired with superglue, but it still shoots better than the others. Definitly the last gun I'd sell of the pistols.